• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sponsored Daylist (1 Viewer)

Darren Oakley-Martin

Bear with me here, this is just the germ of an idea at the moment.

Christmas is soon upon us and we'll all be putting on a few pounds, so here's how we can lose a few pounds and raise a few pounds for charity at the same time.

We could all go out for one day over the christmas period and have people sponsor us for every species we see. It'll be fun, in a good cause and give us an excuse to avoid a visit to the in-laws.;)

If only 100 of us manage to see, say 50 species at 10p each, (or dollar, euro equivalent) with 10 sponsors, thats £5000.

There are issues however;

1) We would need to select charities which reflect the internationality of BirdForum.

2) How would monies be collected and distributed? I hope this is where those lovely people at BF come in. It would be good publicity for the site and perhaps some of the money could go towards the upkeep of the site.

So, who would be interested? Any other thoughts please, I'm sure there are issues I've neglected to consider.

Best wishes,

I'm in!
Not going to be any help on the organising side though, I'd suck at anything like that ;)

In terms of collecting the cash, you could always start a PayPal (or similar) account, but you would need someone to be in charge of ensuring funds are paid in and then distributed to the relevant charities (maybe one of the moderators?)

The organisation aside, it seems a great idea. Good luck!

- David.

KernowBirds said:
In terms of collecting the cash, you could always start a PayPal (or similar) account, but you would need someone to be in charge of ensuring funds are paid in and then distributed to the relevant charities (maybe one of the moderators?)

The organisation aside, it seems a great idea. Good luck!

- David.
I'd be happy to do some of the organising, but I'm not sure I'd want to collect cash from people.

Steve? Andy? Can you help here?

Any ideas on suitable charities anyone?

Oriental Bird Club? (That will please Tim)

Oh come on now. Surely there's more than 4 of you!! You could even participate whilst peeling the veg at the sink looking out onto the feeders.............come on now.......we could earn a lot of money for charity here.

Yours, disappointed,

Hi Darren

I'd happily do it.

If you think how few people were willing to do the GGBC..........

its for a good cause, perhaps Birdlife International?

pduxon said:
Hi Darren

I'd happily do it.

If you think how few people were willing to do the GGBC..........

its for a good cause, perhaps Birdlife International?
Cheers Pete,

Now we are 5, and we need to enlist the help of BF.

Birdlife International is a worthy cause.

NOW COME ON! WHO ELSE!! Stop talking and start acting!

Now there is a good idea.

Come on you lot.

What's more important- a tricky Larus ID, your life list, or actually making a difference? Get with it people.

j lowe said:
we could raise money to create a BF reserve.
surely all 20,000 of us would contribute to that.

jay

Don't the BTO have a New Year sponsored birdwatch? Does it matter that BF would be doing the same thing, for a different cause?

steve

They do indeed Steve, and you're right, I don't think it matters if BF do something independently.

Will you stop talking about Cormorants, Gull ID's and Pigeons for 1 minute and do something constructive- sign up for the BF Sponsored Xmas Daylist! EVERYONE can participate in this, even if its from your kitchen window on christmas morning.

But we would need someone to collect and distribute funds......ERM............BF?

Steve Lister said:
Don't the BTO have a New Year sponsored birdwatch? Does it matter that BF would be doing the same thing, for a different cause?

steve

sign me up too!
all for 1 and good for nothing

maybe someone can produce an official BF sponsor form...
..I know I couldn't!!!

Dave.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<BUMP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Come on.............7 people?! Call yourselves conservationists? We can do some good here with minimal effort!

Thank you Simon, Pete Duxon, Dave Deboo, Steve Lister, David Roberts, J Lowe, (not the J Lo?), what about the rest of you!!!

Darrenom said:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<BUMP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Come on.............7 people?! Call yourselves conservationists? We can do some good here with minimal effort!

Thank you Simon, Pete Duxon, Dave Deboo, Steve Lister, David Roberts, J Lowe, (not the J Lo?), what about the rest of you!!!

We could all go out for one day over the christmas period and have people sponsor us for every species we see. It'll be fun, in a good cause and give us an excuse to avoid a visit to the in-laws.

Darren - I am the in-law to some extent - and I'm the one who will receive the visits this year. I never allowed my sons to go touting round friends and neighbours for sponsorship on various fund raising efforts - though their parents and grandparents rallied round so that they would not be shamed at school! Now I am in a similar situation!!! :eek!: When I hear who will benefit from this cause, Malcolm and I will sponsor each other, and hope to raise a few pennies for it.

an interesting collection of BF neer do wells (well some of us anyway ;) )

C'mon guys I'm sure you'll be out over the period.

Are there any rules Darren? I suppose they have to be countable birds or I'll be off to Barnes!!

Darrenom said:
OK Tom, diamond geezer. Good on you. That's 8 then. 8 decent people amongst 20,000. Some people are just self, self, self.;)

Darren - do you really think this will help your cause????????? How about patience, patience, patience on your part?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back