• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two fungi for Identification please (1 Viewer)

Nina P

Nina
Last week I was in the garden trying to take pictures of birds, but found these intriguing fungi, but not being any good with these things, only basic knowledge, I wondered if they could ne named?The first one is on some logs that hold in compost for a raised bed, in partial sun, the second orange one is under an Ash tree in mainly shade, any ideas?

Attachments

• Bracket fungi.JPG
    Bracket fungi.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Orange fungi closeup.JPG
    Orange fungi closeup.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 132
Thank you Karwin, I wondered it it was something like Chicken of the woods but don't really think so, and I really don't know what tree the wood it is growing on is, possibly willow but could be birch, if that helps.

Nina P said:
Thank you Karwin, I wondered it it was something like Chicken of the woods but don't really think so, and I really don't know what tree the wood it is growing on is, possibly willow but could be birch, if that helps.

I agree with Karwin on the second one. Be aware though that there is a species that is often confused with Aleuria aurantia, though the name escapes me at the moment. I have seen experienced collectors get confused too. The first fungus is a many zoned Polypore, Coriolus versicolor, which is very common in the UK.

Hi Nina
Thankyou for sharing those photos with us. I am dead chuffed because I got both of those right and I didnt even peek at the answers (honest) ;) we have alot of many zoned bracket fungus around here. Chicken of the woods is much paler, pale yellow to orange. I havent seen any orange peel fungus but I have seen plenty of photos so I recognised it when I saw it, nice find!
btw did you get any bird photos? I am much better at identifying those! lol!

psilo said:
Hi Nina
Thankyou for sharing those photos with us. I am dead chuffed because I got both of those right and I didnt even peek at the answers (honest) ;) we have alot of many zoned bracket fungus around here. Chicken of the woods is much paler, pale yellow to orange. I havent seen any orange peel fungus but I have seen plenty of photos so I recognised it when I saw it, nice find!
btw did you get any bird photos? I am much better at identifying those! lol!
SO I got an Orange peel fungus in my flower bed? wow, that is very interesting, thanks, as for the birds a severe dissapointment to me, the only decent shot was a robin on the fork handle, a very blurry shot of coaltit that was getting chased off by another one, never got the LTT's they decided to dive around the feeders when I clicked the camera so all I got was tails! same for the Nuthatch, and the GSW wouldn't play fair either! I never was good at photography anyway, but with digital cameras, I don't waste time and money down the developers, so only I see the wrecks nowadays! LOL.;)

Nina P said:
SO I got an Orange peel fungus in my flower bed? wow, that is very interesting, thanks, as for the birds a severe dissapointment to me, the only decent shot was a robin on the fork handle, a very blurry shot of coaltit that was getting chased off by another one, never got the LTT's they decided to dive around the feeders when I clicked the camera so all I got was tails! same for the Nuthatch, and the GSW wouldn't play fair either! I never was good at photography anyway, but with digital cameras, I don't waste time and money down the developers, so only I see the wrecks nowadays! LOL.;)

lol Nina well at least you have an impressive garden list of birds to play with. I wish I got GSW in my garden. I get all of these birds on my allotment but would love them in the garden too.
As for the fungus I will have to keep a look out in my garden for anything lurking in the flowerbeds! lol!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back