• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kent in January (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
ok I had been planning a long weekend up in Norfolk in January BUT as Robin has kindly organised Dungemeet in January I'm contemplating a long weekend down there instead.

Now what is there to do in Kent in January?!?! Will Rye Harbour be good? - well its not in Kent ;) , sorry Robin

pduxon said:
ok I had been planning a long weekend up in Norfolk in January BUT as Robin has kindly organised Dungemeet in January I'm contemplating a long weekend down there instead.

Now what is there to do in Kent in January?!?! Will Rye Harbour be good? - well its not in Kent ;) , sorry Robin
I love Rye Harbour although you will see much the same species as at Dunge. It is good for Short-eared Owls and the view as the Bitterns come into roost is excellent.

Sheppey is excellent at that time of year and has to be one of the top spots for raptors in the country in winter. Marsh and Hen Harriers, Short-eared Owls, Common and RL Buzzard, Merlin, Peregrine. Plus large numbers of wildfowl.

Stodmarsh/Grove Ferry also good for raptors and always worth a visit.

Oare Marshes are good at anytime of year. Again good for raptors.

Bedgebury Pinetum for hawfinch.

The list goes on. Haven't got time to write any more now.

As it happens I'm off to Norfolk this weekend.

What about Elmley RSPB (Sheppey), Cliffe (or somewhere near there) and Seasalter.

Don't think much of Stodmarsh but others may like it.

Tim100 said:
What about Elmley RSPB (Sheppey),

And at Elmley they're again doing their raptor Landrover tours on Sunday mornings throughout the winter. Haven't been on it myself, but will do sometime. See the RSPB website for details.

I haven't been to Elmley in years but last time I went it was superb. Stodmarsh/Grove Ferry can be great for wildfowl in winter and always has something to delight - alternatively/additionally if you're happy without a hide Westbere lakes further towards Canterbury has a similar mix to Stodmarsh and can be quieter (let me know if you want directions). Oare Marshes are always good (and I can provide local pub details!).
If woodland birds are your thing both East and West Blean Woods north of Canterbury are well worth a visit (let me know if you want directions!). Reculver is generally worth a look (ask if you want directions). The Wye downs provide great walks if you fancy a bit of chalk downland. The parks in Thanet should yield a rose-ringed parakeet...

Let me know if you want further details

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back