• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

one day in Belize (1 Viewer)

bobf

I have a day in Belize as a cruise stop in early Nov. Can anyone comment on the feasibility of visiting the "1000 ft falls" near San Ignacio for Orange-breasted Falcon as a day trip? Would this require 4WD?

Thanks
Bob

Don't know how long you've got, but I seem to recall the bus ride from San Ignacio to Belize City was unhurried and didn't take too long, so in a hire car I reckon day tripping it should be a viable proposition. The attached shot shows you where one liked to sit when I visited in March 2007.

Go for it, and good luck!

James

Attachments

• Thousand Foot Falls.JPG
    Thousand Foot Falls.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 75
Well, this worked, but just barely. Because cruise ships are tendered in Belize, I was only ashore from 9:00 to 4:00, and it was 3 hrs each way to 1000 foot falls. With time for gas, rental check-out and return, etc, we only had about 20 minutes at the site. But we did find an Orange-breasted Falcon in a dead tree, and managed to maneuver the scope so that we had forest as a background and could pick up details. But we had NO time to look for anything else. It was much easier to get Cozumel Emerald and Vireo the next day.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back