• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas/New Mexico Birding (3 Viewers)

HI,
I am planning a trip for me and my family through western Texas and Southern New Mexico this July and I was wondering if anyone had an advice on how and where I can pick up some specialty birds of that region. My family enjoys birds but aren’t serious birders like me so I need to work my birding around them but I was wondering if anyone know of one or two must stop birding locations to get some birds that I won’t be able to find anywhere else in the country. the plan is to fly into San Antonio and visit Big Bend, Guadeloupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns and White sands national parks. Right now my top target species are Colima Warbler and Mexican Jay in Big Bend National park. Any other suggestions for top target birds for this trip (I’ve never birded this area before so everything special to the south and south west will be a life bird basically). Any suggestions for must visit birding locations in the area?
I would love to get golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo but I'm not sure If those would be too far out of the way to convince my family to take the side trip

Last edited:
For Colima Warbler in Big Bend, my recollection is that the upper parts of the Pinnacles Trail is the best area. As well as the time of year (from 2nd week in April), you should aim to get up into the higher forests as early as possible in the day, as they're much more likely to be singing early to mid-morning. If they're not singing, they're very difficult to find. I think Mexican Jay is likely to be much easier, as it's fairly common and conspicuous in the area. It also occurs at lower altitudes than the warbler.

There should be places not far from San Antonio you could call in at for Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo. If you're heading along I10 at any stage, a good spot for both is South Llano River State Park near Junction. That's maybe somewhere where there are other attractions for the family as well. It's a good place more generally and you can see a lot in a short period of time. The Ebird bar charts give an indication of what's likely to be around:

Last edited:
What time of year? I've been to Big Bend, but it was in the winter, before Colima warbler shows up. Mexican Jay were pretty ubiquitous, from what I recall. Other common desert birds that you can find throughout the park include cactus wren, black-throated sparrow, canyon towhee, Verdin and phainopepla.
The Rio Grande Village is supposed to be a pretty good riparian spot, although I didn't go there. I believe that area, or the area around Santa Elena Canyon is home to common black hawk. The canyon itself is a good spot for white-throated swift. I also had rock wren and green kingfisher there.
I live in Austin, so I can tell you that the area around San Antonio should be good for golden-cheeked warbler and black-capped vireo, starting in late March/early April. Haven't been to South Llano SP, but I've heard good things. You may also be able to get things like Scott's Oriole and Woodhouse's Scrub jay. Small numbers of zone-tailed hawk are seen in the area as well.
If you find yourself heading north closer to Austin for any reason, then I can get really specific. Good luck!

What time of year? I've been to Big Bend, but it was in the winter, before Colima warbler shows up. Mexican Jay were pretty ubiquitous, from what I recall. Other common desert birds that you can find throughout the park include cactus wren, black-throated sparrow, canyon towhee, Verdin and phainopepla.
The Rio Grande Village is supposed to be a pretty good riparian spot, although I didn't go there. I believe that area, or the area around Santa Elena Canyon is home to common black hawk. The canyon itself is a good spot for white-throated swift. I also had rock wren and green kingfisher there.
I live in Austin, so I can tell you that the area around San Antonio should be good for golden-cheeked warbler and black-capped vireo, starting in late March/early April. Haven't been to South Llano SP, but I've heard good things. You may also be able to get things like Scott's Oriole and Woodhouse's Scrub jay. Small numbers of zone-tailed hawk are seen in the area as well.
If you find yourself heading north closer to Austin for any reason, then I can get really specific. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! I forgot to add it into the post (just edited it in) we are planning on going during the summer most likely July. Originally I was planning for us to take route 90 but it seems like I10 is only about 10 minutes longer and that is definitely worth it for the birds, id assume my family wouldn’t mind a 10 minute longer route either meaning we'd be going right by south Llano SP. With your experience in the area do you think the golden cheeks and black-capped vireo would still be easyish to find in July when singing has died down a bit? I heard about the Common Black Hawk nest and will definitely be putting that on my target list.

Last edited:
For Colima Warbler in Big Bend, my recollection is that the upper parts of the Pinnacles Trail is the best area. As well as the time of year (from 2nd week in April), you should aim to get up into the higher forests as early as possible in the day, as they're much more likely to be singing early to mid-morning. If they're not singing, they're very difficult to find. I think Mexican Jay is likely to be much easier, as it's fairly common and conspicuous in the area. It also occurs at lower altitudes than the warbler.

There should be places not far from San Antonio you could call in at for Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo. If you're heading along I10 at any stage, a good spot for both is South Llano River State Park near Junction. That's maybe somewhere where there are other attractions for the family as well. It's a good place more generally and you can see a lot in a short period of time. The Ebird bar charts give an indication of what's likely to be around:
Originally I was planning on taking route 90 but after checking it out on google maps it seems like I10 is only about 10 minutes longer so that will probably be my new plan thank you for the advice!!

Oh boy, you're really going to get to experience the Texas summer! I got my lifer vireo and warbler in June and July, so certainly doable. You're definitely going to want to get started early, at least while in central TX.

HI,
I am planning a trip for me and my family through western Texas and Southern New Mexico this July and I was wondering if anyone had an advice on how and where I can pick up some specialty birds of that region. My family enjoys birds but aren’t serious birders like me so I need to work my birding around them but I was wondering if anyone know of one or two must stop birding locations to get some birds that I won’t be able to find anywhere else in the country. the plan is to fly into San Antonio and visit Big Bend, Guadeloupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns and White sands national parks. Right now my top target species are Colima Warbler and Mexican Jay in Big Bend National park. Any other suggestions for top target birds for this trip (I’ve never birded this area birded this area before so everything special to the south and south west will be a life bird basically). Any suggestions for must visit birding locations in the area?
Edit: I would love to get golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo but I'm not sure If those would be too far out of the way to convince my family to take the side trip
I worked in Texas for 5 years and highlight for birding for me were Aransas National Wildlife Refugee where you can see Whooping cranes. Also some species found in Mexico as it is so close to the border. Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
Hope you have a good trip.

Good luck with your trip from me as well! All 4 of the species you mentioned are just so beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back