• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leeds/Liverpool Canal, Maghull (1 Viewer)

Linda Jay

Novice Birdwatcher
I have recently "adopted" as my local patch a 3/4 mile stretch of the Leeds/Liverpool canal in Maghull, Merseyside. I've often walked along there in the past, when I just wanted some fresh air and exercise, but since I started watching birds earlier this year, I now take the bins and see what I can see.

Regular sightings are the usual for canals, I suspect: Mallard by the score, Coot, Moorhen, Geese (none of which seem to be pure anything), a pair of Mute Swans, and a few assorted hybrid ducks. In the hedges and trees I also see Starling, Robin, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Collared Dove, and Woodpigeon. There are also always a number of Black-headed Gulls about.

Yesterday afternoon, having about an hour free, and needing to clear out the cobwebs, I set off for the canal, not expecting to see anything new. I was delighted, however - and here you need to remember that I am but a beginner! - to see my first ever Grey Wagtail, and about a dozen Long-tailed Tits. Two lifers in an hour - I was thrilled! My life list is so short thus far that I'm not going to mention a number, but those two have certainly helped!

That was an hour well spent - not only did I fill my lungs with fresh air and clear my head, but the birds really lifted my spirits.

Two 'top' birds Linda, I wish I could remember the joy of seeing these for the first time. Still, even after all these years, I still get pleasure from them.
Well done.

Nice one Linda, I saw my first Grey Wagtail last week, doesn't it make you want to shout about it to everyone? Long Tailed tits are so cute too, lets hope you see plenty more.

btw I used to wander along the canal in Maghull many years ago as a kid, I was always desperately looking out for a kingfisher, but I think I only ever saw mallards!

Thank you, Chris - "joy" is the word, indeed! I was nearly bursting with it!

Dawn - yes, I did want to shout about it! As it was, I had to content myself with whispering "Yes!" and "Oh wow!" to myself! I knew there were Long-tailed Tits down there, so I was hoping to see them, and I was so excited when I did. I haven't managed a Kingfisher yet, either - I'll let you know if I do!

Hi Linda, when Spring comes around you'll be able to add blackcap, willow warbler, chiff chaff and a few others to your list.

Jake - that's what I'm hoping! I'm prepared for surprises!

Johnny - thanks, I'm looking forward to Spring already! None of those are on my list yet.

Hi Linda!

Not far from you, Aintree to be presise.

I remember my first grey wagtail, it came into my grandad's garden regularly for about 2 months a few years ago, feeding on bread.

Kajrowe

Hi Linda, glad you had such a great hour or 2 along the canal, nice find with your wagtail and ohhhh those LTT they really do make a birders day no matter how often you see them. Keep an eye on those gulls, you never know what will mix with them. Many years ago i used to fish that part of the canal, nice part of the world, used to be a good local pub there i think it was called the running horses? hope you have many more hours of fun birding your local patch
paul.

Kajrowe - what a great bird to have in the garden!

Paul - thanks for the tip about the gulls, I'll watch them! The Running Horses is a bit further north than the northern end of my patch, but I do sometimes walk up that way for a change, and I usually see a few people fishing when I'm out. It is lovely to have the canal there within easy walking distance when I get fed up with the town.

Hi Linda,

Nice to catch up with you.

You'll get no argument from me either. Long-tails and Grey Waggies are great birds.

As everyone says, keep faith with your patch, and keep us informed of your sightings and your list as it grows.

:t:

When I was at Martin Mere yesterday there was Kingfisher perched outside the hide for about 10 minutes, not too far from Maghull.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back