• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A strange 8x32 choice. (2 Viewers)

Inevitably for such fine binoculars, each has its admirers. In the end it will be the relationship between my unique pair of eyes and each instrument that will determine my choice. Maybe, too, the ergonomics of the binoculars which, as well, will be a question of my physical self in relation to them. Yes, cost is a factor, but only where all else is equal...and that's an unlikely outcome I think. In short, primary factor will be optical quality, secondary, ergonomics, and third, price of the instrument. I wonder if that's the experience of many birders.
"Buy once, cry once"... I know it well :cool:

I have no doubt you will find what you are looking for.

Buy once, cry once…. No, it’s more like onions.. more always come along and you just keep having to cry all over again…. ;-)

Peter
You've got a point, but after 7 or 8 years, I've never felt any need or desire to upgrade my 8x42 sfs. It's just that 8x32 (or 10x32) slot, and that's becoming more significant as I move on towards late middle age...weight of instrument in other words.

You've got a point, but after 7 or 8 years, I've never felt any need or desire to upgrade my 8x42 sfs. It's just that 8x32 (or 10x32) slot, and that's becoming more significant as I move on towards late middle age...weight of instrument in other words.
As someone who complains about carrying heavy full-size bins, I'd suggest one possible strategy: snag 8x30SFL and use them for longer walks, travel, etc. and keep the 42's for shorter walks, stationary birding, etc.
If the x30 ergos work for you, you'll be surprised at the IQ ;-)

As someone who complains about carrying heavy full-size bins, I'd suggest one possible strategy: snag 8x30SFL and use them for longer walks, travel, etc. and keep the 42's for shorter walks, stationary birding, etc.
With a used pair of Zeiss Fl 8x32 on their way to me to try out, I wonder how they compare with the SFLs. From this thread and opinions more generally, I get the impression the Fls are treasured by their owners...but that doesn't mean they've not been improved on. And it looks to me as though SFLs are seen with equal affection.

I don’t wear a harness because I always have a daypack and 90% of time a camera. It just gets too strappy and complicated.

Re bins, ironically I’ve ended up with 8x32FL’s. I’d like a little more ER (I wear specs and can see fieldstop but they don’t seem quite as immersive as 8x40sfl or NV’s. But weight, size, ergos, IQ are superb. My second choice would be another 8x30SFL (wife took mine).

With a used pair of Zeiss Fl 8x32 on their way to me to try out, I wonder how they compare with the SFLs. From this thread and opinions more generally, I get the impression the Fls are treasured by their owners...but that doesn't mean they've not been improved on. And it looks to me as though SFLs are seen with equal affection.
Hello Julian,

You are quite correct. I own both the 8x32FL and the 8x32SF. There is no question in my mind that SF is brighter, more contrasty and has a wider FOV, and that the FL is a fine optic. The SF is larger, although it has well designed ergonomics. I have not replaced my 10x32FL with an SF, it is just not worth the improvements on a format fir which I have limited need. I have no experience with the SFL.

Stay safe,
Arthur

or just go with 8x40 SFL. For me the whole point of those is to provide a way to get a ligher pair of 8x and still have some nice big aperture to work with. How much lighter are the 8x40 SFL compared to the 42mm NL and Noctivids? I think about 7 ounces? They're close to the weight of 8x32 EL or NL

or just go with 8x40 SFL. For me the whole point of those is to provide a way to get a ligher pair of 8x and still have some nice big aperture to work with. How much lighter are the 8x40 SFL compared to the 42mm NL and Noctivids? I think about 7 ounces? They're close to the weight of 8x32 EL or NL
Agree, and I do in fact own and like the 8x40's. GREAT compromise size/weight/aperture.

Agree, and I do in fact own and like the 8x40's. GREAT compromise size/weight/aperture.
Realistically, my choice is between Zeiss fl 8x32, and nl Pure 10x32 as both are being offered at good prices, and having just forked out on a new lightweight scope, I have half an eye on my pocket. I love my sf 8x42s and I may go for the harness option when my body can't take the strain of their weight anymore...that's a good few years yet. The binoculars mentioned are very attractive but in different ways. The fls are the logical choice being both compact and lightweight. The nls just have a spectacular view and, despite being a little heavy for an x32, are still very comfortable in the hand. Thanks for all the ideas though!

Last edited:

I have the 8x32 EL FP for years as my primary bino because of the wide fov and lesser weight against the 10x42 EL FP. Had the 10x32 EL FP for 2 years and didn't find the eye relief problematic but I gained 2x more magnification than the 8x32 but in familiar 32mm format. Then I decided my next bino would be the 10x32 NL and did not regret as the weight at 646g vs the 8x32 EL FP at 595g and couldn't feel the difference in extra 51g of the NL.

I used these binos in the tropical rainforest and with the 8x32, I have never wished to have the 42mm format binos for my work as the 32mm were enough for my eyes to ID birds and wildlife even at night time with the help of spot lights for owls, frogmouths, cats and leopards in Sabah, Borneo.

So if you are okay for the weight difference of 10x32 NL at 646g vs 790g for your 8x42 SF or against the 8x32 FL at 560g, the 10x32 NL orange burnt colour would let you enjoy the scenery :D

IMG20240206072910-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel nudged towards the nls. A few fl aficionados are keeping that idea afloat but I know the view through that instrument will have to be super good to beat the nl. Well, it's not going to, let’s face it. The fl will have to feel much nicer than the nl which I already think rests so easily in the hand. Thank you for more thoughts to feed this enjoyable speculation. In the next couple of days I should know where I'm headed!

Very good colour for a Dutch birder! If I buy it will be green or green...but I would have considered orange if it had been available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back