• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon waterproof ATB 8x42? (1 Viewer)

elkhorn98

Anyone have any comments about these? I am looking for some roof prism, lightweight, 8x binocs for birding and other things, waterproof, bak4 phase coated, fully multi-coated and would like to spend up to $300. I know I am trying to be cheap but can I find a decent binoc in this budget? I was originally looking at Alpen Apex, Burris signature, and Celestron Nobles in 8x32 but these nikon 42s are about the same weight as the alpen and celestron 32s. Comments? Thanks.

Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42

Big sporting goods/hunting/fishing stores like Acadamy Sports and Sports Authority (formerly Oshman's) carry the Nikon ATB's around these parts. If you have someplace like that nearby, go look through a pair.

Sports Authority has them on sale every now and then. I liked them and bought a pair for $175 plus tax a few weeks ago when they had 30% off on optics. For that price I couldn't pass them up. I notice they were advertised this week at 20% off.

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/corp/index.jsp?page=storeLocator&clickid=topnav_locator_txt

Looks like they are $299. Are you sure that is for the same binoc? These are the roof prism ones. I was able to see these today and they are great. I also tried the audubon Equinox and like them too.

I have been using the Nikon Monarch 8x42 ATB for two years now. I was in the same position as you - I wanted a decent pair of binoculars and my budget was $300.

Overall, I have been very pleased with them. Optically, the image is bright, clear & crisp. There is just the slightest bit of fuzziness at the extreme edge of the image. They focus very smooth and rapidly from their short close focus to infinity. They are also light weight for a pair of 8x42s. They come with a connected pair of ocular lens caps that are attached to the neck strap. The objective lens caps are individual friction fit covers.

The case you get with the binoculars is pretty cheap. I don't use it. Instead, I keep the binoculars in a small Columbia "lumbar bag" that also has a shoulder strap.

My previous binoculars were a 15 yr old cheap pair. The differnece between the Nikons and my old pair was so great that I can honestly say that using the Monarch 8x42s got me addicted to birding!

Overall, I don't think there is anything better out there for the price!

I found the Monarch ATB 10x42 for $279 and I am also looking at Audubon Equinox Hp $259 and maybe the Equinox for $209. I like the Nikon weight. 21 ozs!

elkhorn98 said:
Looks like they are $299. Are you sure that is for the same binoc? These are the roof prism ones. I was able to see these today and they are great.

Yes it is a roof. Specifically the box says: Monarch ATB 8x42 #7430 - Phase corrected, multicoated, waterproof. The local Sports Authority had them marked at $249 and there was a sign on the counter that said 30% off on all optics. After looking at them I went home and Froogled, looked at Nextag, etc. etc. and the best price shipped I could get online was $214 from a place I wouldn't be comfortable ordering from and ~$249 from one I'd trust. So I went back the next day and got a pair. $189 after sales tax was added on.

When I went back I asked the guy what up with the sale, some kind of close out or what? He told me that semi-regularly they mark all their optics down like that, 20%-30% (the rest of the binocs they carried were lower line Nikons than the Monarchs, Tascos etc ). They do the same with knives too and they carry Buck, Gerber, etc. He said they don't normally advertise this either!? But in last Sunday's paper SA had an insert and I noticed when I was looking through it it said 20% off on all optics this week (last week).

I think they are great binoculars for the regular price. Good luck in your search...

Last edited:
The only binoculars I thought were comparable to the Monarch ATBs in terms of both price and optical performance were the Bushnell Legends (when the comparison pool included these two, some Wind River models, Pentax HR IIs and the Burris Signature series). However, the weight on the Legends is significantly more than the Monarchs.

Interestingly enough I also found a significant difference in the optical quality between the 10x42s and 8x42s. The spherical abberation was definitely less in the 8x42 model. I think they are an excellent choice in that price range...offering up very good optical performance.

FrankD said:
The only binoculars I thought were comparable to the Monarch ATBs in terms of both price and optical performance were the Bushnell Legends (when the comparison pool included these two, some Wind River models, Pentax HR IIs and the Burris Signature series). However, the weight on the Legends is significantly more than the Monarchs.

FYI, these models are all from the same assembly factory.

FrankD said:
Robert,

Which models in particular? All of them including the Monarchs?

I have not looked over the Burris recently but for the others, yes. However, they are not identical in coatings, body styling, accesories, and price. They merely come from the same source.

I don't mean for this to be a bash at the Brands. Each has control over what technology goes into the pairs that have their name on it, although some just buy what they will and come up with brand-specific names for the technology. Again, not terrible, the consumer will get different levels of technology and support for different levels of money.

This is a common practice. Remember, not every part inside your Sony DVD player is made by Sony, and think of haw many makes of computers there are, and 99.5% of them all have processors made by only Intel, AMD, or Apple.

Last edited:
elkhorn98 said:
Anyone have any comments about these? I am looking for some roof prism, lightweight, 8x binocs for birding and other things, waterproof, bak4 phase coated, fully multi-coated and would like to spend up to $300. I know I am trying to be cheap but can I find a decent binoc in this budget? I was originally looking at Alpen Apex, Burris signature, and Celestron Nobles in 8x32 but these nikon 42s are about the same weight as the alpen and celestron 32s. Comments? Thanks.

Elkhorn - I just came across the winter 2005 issue of Living Bird magazine published by the Cornell lab of Ornithology. In it, there is an extensive review of 78 models of binoculars. Forty reviewers participated in the test - each binocular model was rated by at least 10 reviewers. Binoculars were divided into price categories (using the manufacturers suggested retail price) of < $200, $200 - $500 (mid-priced), $500 - $1,000 and $1,000 +.

The Nikon Monarch 8x42 were evaluated as "clearly the top-rated of any mid-priced, full-power birding binoculars. These lightweight, waterproof, and very comfortable binoculars focus down to six feet and offer an image and feel that surpasses many models costing two or three times more. Only in direct comparison with the top-priced binoculars could our reviewers discern the narrower, slightly duller image, which was not quite sharp at the edges. But with a street price under $300, the Monarchs are a steal."

As an owner of the 8x42 Monarch - I'd recommend them to anyone shopping for binoculars in this price category.

Agreed on the Monarch 8X42. I just bought a pair as my "extra" bins to carry around in the vehicle since my favorite 8X42 Leica's stay at home until I really need them. It's surprising how much I use the extra binoculars when out driving or during the lunch hour. So far I am very impressed with the Nikon bins. While not as perfectly constructed as my Leica's (at three times the price) these bins are very comfortable, lightweight, very bright and enjoyable to use. I would recommend these to anyone wanting to spend money for good optics in this price range. No real complaints.

Another satisfied Nikon owner.

The 10x42s are getting to the range where 10x are useable all year. My Sporters, 10x36 are a bit dim. In the Monarch, I would use either 8x or 10x. And both are lighter than even my Sporter, I think.

Nikon Monarch's are great!

Tero said:
The 10x42s are getting to the range where 10x are useable all year. My Sporters, 10x36 are a bit dim. In the Monarch, I would use either 8x or 10x. And both are lighter than even my Sporter, I think.

I would just like to add that I have the Nikon Monarch's in the 8x42mm and I think I like them better than my Zeiss FL 10x42mm. They are much more compact and much lighter than the Zeiss and easier to handle. They don't give up much optically either to the Zeiss. The Zeiss are really not worth five times as much. Nikon definitely makes some of the best binoculars at the best prices available. Sportsman Warehouse which has almost every binocular made in their showcase says the Nikon Monarch's are by far their best seller of any binocular. People compare them to Zeiss and Swarovski and there just is not that much difference and there more compact and much lighter. They have a slightly smaller FOV but do you really need that huge field of view? To get the wider field of view there has to be more lenses in the binocular making them heavier. In conclusion Nikon Monarchs are great!

I think they are all ATB. You don't want a Monarch that is a 10x40. That is the old model but I don't think you'll see any of those.

I think they are all ATB. You don't want a Monarch that is a 10x40. That is the old model but I don't think you'll see any of those.

True, make sure it is the newer model...42 mm not 40 mm. The "ATB" usually goes with Nikon bins that are waterproof, nitrogen purged, etc... They have a Prostaff ATB and I believe they discontinued the Mountaineer ATB but I could be mistaken.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back