• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Sporter I 8x36 (1 Viewer)

Swedpat

I still have this binocular. Actually bought two for £60 each from Warehouse express in UK in 2009. I probably grabbed the last two samples at the sale.
I am still fascinated by this model.
The eye lenses are whopping 24mm! It's about the same size as eye lenses of Swarovski NL Pure 8x42. Which is really impressive for a binocular of 8x36 configuration even today.
I guestimate the eye relief to be ~22mm or so.
This results in that I with eyeglasses need to have the eyecups raised a bit to avoid black outs. 2mm above bottom position is good.

I seriously wonder if Nikon initually intended to make this a high(er) grade model, but of some reason did not do it. It's not phase coated and the lens coating is simple with some surfaces of lenses and prisms uncoated. This is noticeable especially when it comes to brightness and contrast, but also sharpness.
But add fully multi coating, phase coating and make it water proof I think it would be £1000 class model.

20231111_141142.jpg

20231111_141547.jpg

Last edited:
The resolution is pretty good for not having phase coatings, much better than some other Nikon roofs of that time. I seem to forget when these were produced. A well built glass with that excellent Nikon focus.

The resolution is pretty good for not having phase coatings, much better than some other Nikon roofs of that time. I seem to forget when these were produced. A well built glass with that excellent Nikon focus.

Yes, I wondered about if phasecoating would give that extra increase in sharpness.
Maybe also the kind of glass quality could be improved. Anyway this binocular has a feeling of being of higher class than it is, just like it's not completed in the process yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back