• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2005 / 06 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
On a sunny but cold (though less cold than of late) morning, we once again took a trip outback. It’s been a couple of weeks since we went, as last weekend we were tied up with more mundane activities.

The last couple of times, I think I have complained about things being, literally, a bit quiet. No such problem today, as for most of the time there was a constant chorus of bird noise.

Nothing on the estate, until we picked up 5 Starlings perched on the guttering of the two houses on either side of the “entrance”, but by then we had already enjoyed the first of the Skylarks singing away, as is their wont.

A couple of Maggies and one or two small birdies kept us going until we reached the pond. The Mute Swans are still around, along with 2 Tufties and normal numbers of Mallards. We heard a (the?) Little Grebe again, but once again did not actually see it (them?).

The shrubs and trees around the pond were full of birdsong, although the singers were very difficult to track down. An incoming pheasant (wish I’d had my camera) overflew us, gliding with wings outstretched on final approach to the island – a brilliant sight it must be said.

We also heard the first of the Green Woodpeckers. It was actually difficult to count the Green Woodies, as we heard many calls, although in the end we could only be reasonably sure of three distinct locations, and so it goes down as just three on the list.

Walking past the woods near last year’s peafields, we became aware of a flock of at least 15, and quite possibly more, Chaffinches. Our presence caused them to pause their feeding, and they flew in a loose flock into the trees.

It was difficult to estimate numbers any better, but whilst attempting to do so, we picked up a bonus, being a Treecreeper. I tried to get it in the ’scope to see if I could make out any of its distinguishing (from Short-toed) features, but by the time I had got myself sorted, it had gone out of sight.

The walk now took a quieter turn, and although there were obviously some twitters and cheeps going on, there didn’t seem to be a great deal of activity in the woods close to the hotel. After stopping for about 10 minutes, we were about to continue, when a flock of smallish birds flew over.

We didn’t really get any chance to look at them, but it didn’t matter too much, as we were quickly treated to the calls of a Nuthatch and a Green Woodpecker, and the drumming of a Greater Spotted – although once again, no sightings!

Then as we really were about to move on, we noticed that the flock of birds had landed in the trees a little way behind us, and was making some noise.

Armed (eventually!) with ’scope, and after plenty of frustration, as I couldn’t actually see them for some time in spite of the noise and numbers, I managed to get good views.

The chattering was almost continuous, and then there would be a sudden quiet, and some of the birds would fly to some more trees further away. Then the chatter started again, and then hush, and more flew on. This happened four times in total, and I counted 64 birds.

Now knowing where they were, I could take a look through the ’scope and clearly identify them as Redwings. We haven’t had many this winter, so this was a very pleasant surprise.

Now we did carry on, and added a few more little woodland birds, and also heard a tantalisingly warbler-like call. It takes me a few weeks to get my warbler-ears working in summer, so in no way could I claim this to be an id, but with the reported increase in overwintering Blackcaps…and it was in the right place… well, who knows? Not me, that’s for sure!!!

Anyway, we turned the corner, and started making our way back, passing the newly ploughed field (left fallow last year). It was generally quiet enough the hear the distant Skyarks again, but there was the occasional chirruping to tease us.

Nearing the larger wood, a 100 metres or so to our left, we heard a great commotion, as every bird seemed to start calling at once. Not surprising, as a Sparrowhawk came into view, flying into the trees and scattering a few of the more flighty inhabitants.

There were two of three other flocks of small birds around. Possibly up to 20 or so Linnets, but I never really got a convincing enough look, and they seemed to show to much yellow in the wing as they flew.

However, we did see at least 4 Reed Buntings (2 male, 2 female), and after noting a couple of Pied Wagtails cross the path in front of us, we took a look where they had landed to see they had joined a small flock of at least 14 in total.

The unidentified flock had moved into another stand of trees, so I decided to cut across to tie them down once and for all!!!

Well, I singularly failed to do so, but the journey was by no means unrewarding, as I added a 3 more Blue Tits, an in-flight Great Spotted Woodpecker, and (are you there Andrew?) 7 Stock Doves on the newly ploughed field – a patch lifer.

It was now getting rather nippy, and so we headed home, making the usual cursory check over the pond again , but adding nothing more, other than a single Blackbird.

All in all though, not too shabby!

The numbers follow…

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold text italic = Outback life tick
(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) : 3 (1)
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) : 2 (2)
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) : 21 (13)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) : 2 (2)
Greater Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) : 2 (1)
Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis) : 3 (1)
Stock Dove (Columba oenas) : 7 (7)
Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) : 14 (5)
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) : 5 (3)
Coot (Fulica atra) : 6 (6)
Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) : 1 (1)
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) : 1 (1)
Magpie (Pica pica) : 5 (2)
Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) : 1 (1)
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) : 6 (4)
Blackbird (Turdus merula) : 2 (1)
Redwing (Turdus iliacus) : 64 (64)
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) : 6 (4)
Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) : 5 (5)
Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) : 1 (1)
Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) : 1 (1)
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) : 3 (1)
Great Tit (Parus major) : 3 (1)
Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus) : 13 (3)
Long-Tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) : 1 (1)
Skylark (Alauda arvensis) : 5 (2)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba) : 14 (14)
Dunnock (Prunella modularis) : 2 (1)
Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) : 19 (15)
Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) : 4 (4)
Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) : 1 (1)

Whoo hoo, Stock Dove at last! How long have we been waiting for that one?

Wonder what we shall wait for next, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker?

Andrew said:
Whoo hoo, Stock Dove at last! How long have we been waiting for that one?
Woo hoo indeed!!!

Andrew said:
Wonder what we shall wait for next, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker?
Erm... been there, seen it, done it...

Woodlark or Wood Warbler I think are realistic... and maybe, just maybe, Nightjar... (apparently they are local.)

Birdman,

Thank you for your post. I have missed your Outback reports I like "walking" round the patch with you. How did you get to see 3 Wrens? I didn't see any for years and now have a tame one in the Garden, but 3, you must have perfect eyesight.

As I have said before I do most of my birdwatching on BF through you more energetic people. Most birds are too fast or too small for me to see with my eyesight.

Look forward to reading the next one.

Ann

Last edited:
Right, I will go for the easier option and watch for your first Wood Warbler. Scan the very tops of the trees!

Did you feel a bit 'robbed' getting SIX of them as it makes it all seem too easy doesn't it. When I had a single Curlew fly over on my local patch it felt very rare being on it's own. I suppose an analogy would be imagining twenty Pallas's Warblers turnign up at Kenidjack and that would take the gloss off it a bit.

Sorry for taking so long to get back, folks.

Yes, Andrew... I think I need to do some brusing up on warblers... it would be handy if they'd hang around all year! Of course, they only "show up" when there's trees full of leaves...

I'll follow your tip, and let you know... plus I've got the Nikon this year to give me a fighting change, perhaps?

BTW... didn't mind so many Stock Doves... all the more chance of me actually noticing them!

Ann,

I certainly don't have perfect eyesight, but I am quite used to Wrens.

As it happens, the song is one of the small selection that I actually recognise, so one of the 3 was identified by sound only.

The other two I did see, but as I am getting more and more familiar with my patch, then you get to learn where they are likely to be, and can keep a particular look out.

What I don't let on is all the ones I miss. And there are loads of those!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back