• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 350 D 1st Trials (1 Viewer)

brimo

Just started using a UK supplied 350D (beware the grey imports!) got it on a very good deal from the our well known UK high street multiple retailer: it is small in the hand although that suits me as i find the fire button easier to naturally reach than on the 20D:It does not feel or look plastic in the flesh, it looks great in the black body: I have been making some comparison shots with it against my friends 20D and there seems very little to choose between the 2 in terms of image quality. For most commonly used functions it is very easy to use, in burst mode there has been no lock up of the buffer>
I am a keen amature photographer still with a lot to learn and i have been able to get on with just fine.
It is noticeably streaks ahead of any digital compact i have used, much faster and with so much more creative possibilties.
The colour reproduction accuracy on it is spot on, the autofocus is quick, and its abilty to handle sharp black and white contrast subjects ( like magpies!) seems good : Previous compacts i have had have suffered here with a constant need to turn the exposure down.
I will post more soon ....Brimmo

Got my 350 D last Saturday still haven't got rid of the Nikon 5700 yet but I think that will go in part-ex for some telephoto lens, now the question is which one, love the thought of the 100-400 L series zoom, but ouch over £1000 new and not easy to find second hand. The 70-300 is, zoom looks ok but is 300mm enough if not can you get a 1.4 converter? OR do I go prime 500mm by Sigma or Tamron suggestions please. PS so far the 350D is all I could ever want short of a really good lens.

Bought mine in March from Jessops, seemed like a good deal. I am working in the USA for 3 weeks and have taken it with me beacause it is lighter than my 10D. So far have been very impressed with it. Have taken some shots of birds with the standard lens but here is the problem. I thought that if I shot in JPEG I would not need the Canon software to run the pics through. I brought my card reader with me and copied the images onto a mac to open in Photoshop. Unfortunately they will not open. Does this mean that they will have to go through the software and can I do this from the images that I have written to cd (& is it safe to delete them from the card)? I should have checked this out before I left home (I normally shoot raw which obviously do have to be processed). Can anybody help?

Ian:
While I use a 20D rather than the 350, I would think the download method would be the same. I can do either of the following: plug the card reader into my PowerBook and drag the jpeg files directly onto the Desktop or else download the images into iPhoto. If you use iPhoto, then drag imges to the Desktop or another folder. Then open up PS and open the jpegs within the program. The only other suggestion would be that you have PS and/or a PS plug-in configured to deal with RAW, but not jpegs.

You might also try to contact Canon or Adobe for guidance.

I hope you solve your problem - nothing worse than travelling and not being able to photograph to the max!

Ingrid

bosquebirds said:
Ian:
While I use a 20D rather than the 350, I would think the download method would be the same. I can do either of the following: plug the card reader into my PowerBook and drag the jpeg files directly onto the Desktop or else download the images into iPhoto. If you use iPhoto, then drag imges to the Desktop or another folder. Then open up PS and open the jpegs within the program. The only other suggestion would be that you have PS and/or a PS plug-in configured to deal with RAW, but not jpegs.

You might also try to contact Canon or Adobe for guidance.

I hope you solve your problem - nothing worse than travelling and not being able to photograph to the max!

Ingrid
Ingrid
Thanks for the reply. I have tried i-Photo and it still tells me that the files are in an unrecognised format. Have not looked into PS yet. Tried to contact Canon-europe by e-mail but of course I do not have my password with me!!!! Might buy another card, format that & see if that makes a difference. Otherwise just have to hope that when I get home I can run the images through the supplied software & all will be ok.
Regards
Ian

I just ake the card out of the 350d put it in the card reader and cut and past into a, photo's file, on my pc/laptop then work on them from there. I formated all cards 2x32 1x 64 1x256 in the canon and have had no problems at all . All open up in photoshop and any of the other paint/picture progs on the laptop. is it a Mac thing?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back