• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In praise of the Zeiss SFL 10x40 (1 Viewer)

gweller

It seems to me that the SFL 10x40 does not get so much love and attention here on Birdforum, so I thought I would just share my thoughts on it.

I had been using the Zeiss SF 10x32 for the last couple of years, and though this is a very fine binocular I somehow could not really ‘’bond’’ with it if that makes sense. I found the eye placement a bit tricky and even with careful adjustment of the eyecups and IPD I still got the occasional blackout. Also the color reproduction seemed a bit too warm for me and the focus too fast.

So when I saw that Zeiss were offering €200 cash back on the SFL 10x40 bringing the net price down to €1460 I thought I would give it a go.
I was very pleasantly surprised! I don’t know whether or not I have got a “good” copy, but it is perfectly clean inside and the view is very sharp, with the same pleasant and realistic colours as in the SFL 8x40. It may have slightly more CA than the SF 10x32 and a narrower view, but for me it is a much more user friendly and is a real delight to use. I know I’m comparing ‘apples and pears’’, (i.e. a x32 against an x40) but to me it’s a real winner, so much so that I sold the SF.

I think Zeiss have really nailed it with these SFL models, the two x40 bins are superb and are great value for money. I wonder how Swaro will repond? They don’t seem to have any new models in their collection that compete with these and have very little to offer for the user looking for something under €2k.

Regards
Gary

When I walked into the bino store sale a couple weeks ago, a birder woman was agonzing over the 10x32 EL's versus 10x40 SFL. When I left, the SFL was winning :) She liked the focuser placement and smoothness better and was starting to notice the effects of the larger aperture.

I'm impressed that they reduced the weight over the SF but it seems to have the same focuser from the SF that I love.

When I walked into the bino store sale a couple weeks ago, a birder woman was agonzing over the 10x32 EL's versus 10x40 SFL. When I left, the SFL was winning :) She liked the focuser placement and smoothness better and was starting to notice the effects of the larger aperture.

I'm impressed that they reduced the weight over the SF but it seems to have the same focuser from the SF that I love.
Yes, I didn't really notice any difference between the two focusers when I compared them side by side - both were very smooth. One other point - I much prefer the diopter setting on the SFL. On the SF you pull the diopter setting wheel upwards, adjust it, then press it back. It seems to fit on splines as you push it in, and I always had the idea that this caused it to move very slightly away from the position I wanted. On the SFL the diopter setting is on the right eyepiece. It's very tight with no locking mechanism and therefore infinitely adjustable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back