• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 into 1 won't go! (1 Viewer)

nobby

The female Blue Tit in my nest box had finished laying when a 2nd female arrived and started nestbuilding over the top of her eggs.

The 2nd female has started laying eggs and tonight has tried to sit on the eggs by forcing the 1st female off.

It's now a bit of a stale mate with the 1st sitting on the eggs with the 2nd sleeping on the edge of the nest cup.

Brett.
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/nest_box.htm

Attachments

• BlueTitApr2005t.jpg
    BlueTitApr2005t.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 184
This is very interesting! Do keep us updated Brett. Just think, you could end up with twenty babies in there eventually!

Update.
Ever since Sunday night the 2 female Tits follow the same routine. Female No1 incubating with female No2 on top of female No1 (trying to incubate). In the morning female No2 lays an egg.

Egg count is now 13. Female No1 is just about dominant and stays on the eggs most of the time. when she is kicked off she soon gets back by backing in and moving female No2 aside.

This continues until they settle down for the night.

I have a feeling that both females wil feed the chicks but this remains to be seen.

Brett.

Fascinating, Brett! Is there any sign of a male around? I wonder if the same one has mated with both females, or if there are 2 males.
Mary

Hi Mary
Yes there is a single male around.
Sometimes all 3 are in the nest box together!

Looks like egg no 14 laid today.
Update.
19:47 Female 1 & 2 in nest box fighting over who will sit on the eggs. This will carry on untill sun rise.
Brett.

Attachments

• titsm.jpg
    titsm.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
"The female Blue Tit in my nest box had finished laying when a 2nd female arrived and started nestbuilding over the top of her eggs."

I wonder if this is mother and daughter?

Regards

Malky

I'm not sure if this is mother and daughter as I think Blue Tits tend to keep the same partner each year and chase off their young soon after fledging.

The male abandoned the nest last year a few days after the chicks hatched and I wonder if he had mated twice with females in different nest boxes.

Hopefully this year with 2 in the same box he will stick around.
Brett.

Update 1st May
I have not been able to get a clear view at the eggs for a couple of days now but I have a feeling egg laying has stopped.

The 2 females seem a bit more at ease with each other now and during the day almost share incubating the eggs.

Female 1 still dominates but female 2 incubates when she goes out feeding. When female 1 returns they will swap over - female 1 walks into the 2nd female who gives way but will stay in the box.

If female 2 wants to incubate while female 1 is in the box she just jumps on top of female 1 who will just sit there.
Brett.

Malky

Looks like this is not so unusual after all.
I could not understand how a single female could lay 20 eggs. The most a single female has laid in my nest boxes is 9.

By the way egg count is now 16!
Brett.

Attachments

• BlueTitMay2005c.jpg
    BlueTitMay2005c.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 125
"Looks like this is not so unusual after all.
I could not understand how a single female could lay 20 eggs. The most a single female has laid in my nest boxes is 9.

By the way egg count is now 16!"

Brett, I would still suspect that there is a relationship between the females.

Least you now have enough for an omelette;) ;)

Regards

Malky

I did think the 1st female stopped at 6 eggs and then started incubating with chicks due on the 27th April.

With the 2nd female starting to lay this seems to have delayed things a bit.

I have now counted 17 eggs but have no way of telling when the last was laid.

As to when the chicks will start to hatch I really don't have a clue now. I have a feeling the chicks will hatch over a few days.

Brett.

Enclosed pic of male top feeding female 2 on eggs with female 1 at bottom of picture.

Attachments

• BlueTitMay2005e.jpg
    BlueTitMay2005e.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 136
The Blue Tit chicks are now starting to hatch. 3 have hatched so far and all three parents are feeding them.

Brett.

Looks like 11 chicks have hatched so far. All three parent birds are working as a team feeding the chicks. The 2 females are also taking it in turns sitting on the chicks to keep them warm.
Brett.

Attachments

• BlueTitMay2005g.jpg
    BlueTitMay2005g.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back