• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Florida, USA! (1 Viewer)

Candice

Greetings from the sunny state of Florida, USA! I am an avid birder who has been lucky enough to travel the US in an 18 wheeler ( long haul trucker) as a driver/trainer. While I did that, I bird watched and saw many of the birds across our nation. I own 4 indoor cats, some fish and a dog and about 50 birds. I raise show doves (ringneck doves) and show them for points around the country. Have bred a half a dozen champions. In the past also raised English Budgies and English Zebra Finches and won with them as well.
Have been fascinated by birds of the world, so thought I would join this forum and learn a little more about birds in other places.

Ill be in Kissemee near Orlando, Got a florida bird book to take with me so ill no wot birds there are

Hi Candice, and welcome to the forum. I had my first visit to your part of the world last Easter, and enjoyed some good birding on the Gulf Coast (Englewood). Keep us posted on your local sitings.

Paul

Hi Candice and Euan. You have definately joined the right place then.
Everyone is friendly without exception here so you will find many things of interest from around this ever smaller globe we all call home.

I am about 7 hours from Orlando up in the northwest corner of the state. Been to Orlando many times. Some of the birds I have seen in that area include Black-necked Stilts, Brown Pelican, Cattle Egret, Snowy Egret, Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawk, Avocet, Northern Mockingbird, Boat-tailed Grackles, White Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Wood Stork, Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, Double Crested Cormorant, Ahinga, Euopean Starling, House Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Northern Cardinal, Eastern Towhee, American Crow, Fish Crow, (the crows look the same but the calls are noticably different), Loggerhead Shrike, Eurasian Collared Dove, Mourning Dove, Laughing Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Sandhill Crane. These are easy birds to find, especially if you are around a pond. I saw many of these either in a field or at a pond which was at a shopping mall! Enjoy your visit!

Good morning, Candice! I think this may be the second time we've encountered each other, just today!

The closest I've ever come to Florida was a Christmas visit as a child with my parents (lo! those many years ago!). My sister and brother-in-law will be in a condo at Hillsboro Beach next week (while I'll be stuck in northern Indiana).

As I sit dreaming of an invitation I have to visit Sanibel (and wishing for the money to do so), I'm watching snow outside my window.

But Gray Catbirds, Common Grackles and Red-Winged Blackbirds have been reported in northern Indiana within the last day, and I may head out and look for some myself, in spite of the snow and grayness.

Florida

Hi Candice

Several years ago I drove down from Atlanta to a fabulous wildlife refuge on the Gulf of Mexico. The name may have been something like St. Marks??? Not sure. I made this trip in early September. The car got absolutely covered with flys which seemed to be there in plague proportions. I've always wondered what these flys were. Any ideas?

common---those flys are called lovebugs. They can make a car a mess! We deal with them every year and then they go away, only to return next year. So it's just wash the car alot. The bugs don't hurt people, just make a mess of everything. They have a very short life span so they breed as quick as they can and die.

On behalf of all the Moderators, Welcome to BirdForum, Candice! We're sure you will find plenty to interest you on the site!

A big bonjour good buddy! Trucking must be a great way to see birds in the States, I know that here in France we count the Buzzards and Kestrels we see hunting along the Autoroutes. Sounds like you've got some great birds in your part of the world.

Hi Candice

Very good to have you with us. We look forward to hearing more from the sunshine state!

Hi Candice my friend. This is said from Egypt you were asking about species of doves that live in Egypt, so here is a list of the species that was recorded in Egypt. Turtle dove, Laughing dove, Collared Dove, African collared dove, stock dove, Namaque dove, Rock dove, common wood pigeon and feral pigeon. The most common doves that you can see everywhere is the laughing dove you can see it for example everywhere in Cairo, also the rock dove is common but in areas on the edge of the cities.

Hi Candice and welcome to this great forum. Hope you will enjoy the wide variety if birding information and that we shall hear something about your birds.

Thanks everyone. I am enjoying this board. Wish I could spend much more time on it!. But, alas, I am the "older lady" in my college class this semester. So I must make time to study and use the internet for classwork.
Recently I did see a Swallow-tailed Kite. They are such neat birds of prey.

Euan Buchan said:
Ill be in Kissemee near Orlando, Got a florida bird book to take with me so ill no wot birds there are

Welcome Candice, i've not been on here long myself and forgot to introduce myself, but this is a great bird forum enjoy.

Euan if you make a short drive north to Palatka visit Rodman dam for some guaranteed osprey/hawks/comorants/ herons basically anykind of water bird you'll find there, but go early on a weekday as the 4 wheelers come out on the weekends along with all the fishermen. I'm sure there are many great birding spots in orlando.

Hi Candance, Welcome from New Jersey!
You live in a great State for Birding. Did you ever keep a list of Birds seen while riding the roads? I would think it would be very impressive!
A word of warning! This site is addictive! Save time now and put it up on your task bar. ;0)
bob

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back