• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

El Cheapo upgrade question (1 Viewer)

Mickymouse

Ubuntu Linux user
I am using an Acuter scope which is starting to annoy me but alas I shan't be able to afford a better scope for some time, question is, in the interim would it be worth buying a fixed eyepiece to replace the zoom lens, given that I rarely use the zoom because the quality is so poor at higher magnification, the fixed lenses are a little over £20 at Warehouse Express, could I expect a fixed lens at 20Xs to perform much better than the zoom at 20Xs?

TIA

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I am using an Acuter scope which is starting to annoy me but alas I shan't be able to afford a better scope for some time, question is, in the interim would it be worth buying a fixed eyepiece to replace the zoom lens, given that I rarely use the zoom because the quality is so poor at higher magnification, the fixed lenses are a little over £20 at Warehouse Express, could I expect a fixed lens at 20Xs to perform much better than the zoom at 20Xs?

TIA

Mick

I haven't tried the Acuter but going on looking at other budget scopes my guess is there will be a slight improvement but not very great.

Just noticed I didn't put this in the right forum, doh. I think I might go for a fixed eyepiece because even a crummy scope is better than no scope, sorry folks just thinking out loud.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
Just noticed I didn't put this in the right forum, doh. I think I might go for a fixed eyepiece because even a crummy scope is better than no scope, sorry folks just thinking out loud.

Mick

If nothing else, a fixed 20x should give you a wider FoV than a zoom at 20x.

Duncan.

Mickymouse said:

TIA

Mick

there might be a slight improvement, but don't expect miracles. You might try to take the scope to the store, install the eyepiece, and see if you like it enough to spend $.

A zoom with a view?

Mick,

I am not familiar with your scope, but I suggest you may get better results than suggested with a fixed focus lens. Zooms are a serious compromise and tend to have a very narrow field of view, which varies with magnification, also poor resolution across the image. A fixed focal length lens may well provide a much better field of view (bigger image), as well as better quality - you may be surprised!

There is no substitute for following the suggestion of trying alternatives eyepieces out. Bear in mind that an apperture of around 4-3mm will give good results (divide objective diameter in mm by eyepiece magnification) much less will not perform well in poor light conditions.

Above all else, however, make sure you have excellent binoculars before laying out too much cash on a new scope!

Graham.

grbrown said:
Mick,

I am not familiar with your scope, but I suggest you may get better results than suggested with a fixed focus lens. Zooms are a serious compromise and tend to have a very narrow field of view, which varies with magnification, also poor resolution across the image. A fixed focal length lens may well provide a much better field of view (bigger image), as well as better quality - you may be surprised!

There is no substitute for following the suggestion of trying alternatives eyepieces out. Bear in mind that an apperture of around 4-3mm will give good results (divide objective diameter in mm by eyepiece magnification) much less will not perform well in poor light conditions.

Above all else, however, make sure you have excellent binoculars before laying out too much cash on a new scope!

Graham.
Thanks for that Graham, it's more or less what I thought but I have decided to live with the old Acuter until I can afford better, what you say about bins is dead right, you are always using them, a scope is just an extra.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back