• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatching off the Canaries (1 Viewer)

Woodchatshrike said:
Does anyone know the best month of the year to seawatch or take boat trips off the Canaries?
I've been to La Palma 3 times and, although I have never been on a boat trip from there, I reckon that May onwards would be good for bulwer's petrel (a bit of a bogey bird for me, in the lightest possible sense!). I have seen cory's shearwaters from that island and Tenerife (August and April respectively), with feet firmly on dry land, and I suppose that now some of the northern species would be passing through.

Woodchatshrike said:
Does anyone know the best month of the year to seawatch or take boat trips off the Canaries?
Hi, I recently took part in a Cetacean survey off Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria(Mid May 2005), and had an excellent time.
The bird sightings we saw included Red billed Tropicbird, White faced Petrel, Bulwer's Petrel, Maerdian Petrel,Wilson's Petrel, European Storm Petrel, Sooty Shearwater, Cory's Shearwater and Roseate Tern!
So I would say May was a pretty good month to go and do a pelagic off the Canaries.
If you need more information ,about the trip,let us know,
Cheers,
Dave Gray.

Woodchatshrike said:
Thanks for the info. That is a set of seabirds I would dearly love to see. I will PM you at some point.
Yes, impressive species! I won't be able to go to the Canaries in May for 3 years as my son is still at school, but I've pencilled in 2009.

Canarias

Hi,

here in spain, we say: the lucky islands (islas afortunadas), because there is a good weather all year (20º-25º). You can make a trip to Canarias islands wherever you want!

P.D.: sorry for my english! :h?:

José Luis.

crown said:
Hi,

here in spain, we say: the lucky islands (islas afortunadas), because there is a good weather all year (20º-25º). You can make a trip to Canarias islands wherever you want!

José Luis.

Yes, I'm going to La Palma for 4 nights later this autumn, but there will not be many flowers about and the only seabird that I am guarranteed is yellow-legged gull, although I have seen glaucous gull and ring-billed gull there on previous autumn visits (2000 and 2001).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back