• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Violet-ear in New Jersey! (1 Viewer)

Tz'unun

Featherless Biped
That mysterious wanderer from Mexico has done it again: A Green Violet-ear is being reported visiting a feeder near Sandy Hook, New Jersey. For more, including the hosts' address, see the report on the New Jersey RBA.

Thanks for the heads up on this Tzunun! I've been seeing other reports on it as well. How exciting and lucky for those who have seen it!

I wonder why there's been so many reports of hummers going out of their normal ranges? Is it the strange weather this year?

I wish I knew. Lucky for birders, but probably unlucky for those individual birds. The NJ GRVE may be the same one that was spotted in PA recently, but it didn't get banded so we'll never know for sure. How many reports do you have from TX this year?

Tzunun Where was one in Pa? I missed that one I didn't see it on the Pa list I wonder if Arlene Koch knew? I heard about the fly by rufous in higbee beach in Cape May flying north of all things. Sarah

I didn't get specifics - it was all hush-hush at the time. Maybe we'll get more details now that it's moved on and won't cause a mob scene.

I haven't heard of any in Texas yet this year! Usually we get a few in the hill country, but this has been a unique year. Will send you an email with data after I get it in January.

Mark

Thanks Tzunum, Is it bad? Do these very off track tropical hummers ever survive? I guess maybe in Texas or Arizona or California. This might sound crazy but it still amazes me how the ruby-throat get's down to southern Mexico and back up to my yard!! Sarah

Usually after a few days they're never seen again. We had a Magnificent in San Diego two years ago. It hung around for about three weeks, then disappeared. I don't think it appeared on anybody else's RBA.

At least where you are there's an agreeable climate. If this was the same bird that was in Pennsylvania it went east and possibly north( at least from my area). Even though we can assume the worst We can hope that maybe the wind that brought him in might take him back. Just call me a dreamer. I should know better. Sarah

I guess anything is possible in the South West States, quite a few Years back, we had a Xantus Hummingbird nesting in Ventura, I got to see it, but don't remember whether it was sucessfull, or not, but I don't think it was.

You know what me too as much as I would love to see that green violet eared I am happy that my summer hummers are still hanging around chasing each other it won't be long untill they leave for Mexico. Sarah

More GRVE sightings!

Now there's a Green Violet-ear in Ohio - photographed! - and a "new" sighting in Pennsylvania (this one not such a secret). I'm absolutely green with envy!

Hey birdlegs as I recall there was one near you the one in Pa is gone as far as I know and the jersey bird left too. Sarah

Better look at your hummingbird ranges again tyranulet. I can think of only two or three species I would describe as expanding to the east. Most of the 23 species that have been recorded in the United States are in the west and all but the Bahama Woodstar can be seen west of the Mississippi.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back