• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro Closeout (1 Viewer)

ranburr

It has been brought to my attention that L.L.Bean is having a closeout on the old style SLCs and the 10x42s are going for $819.00.

ranburr

I also saw in the most recent Cabelas catalog that they (Cabelas) bought a specified quantity of the 8x30 SLCs and is now selling them for around $819 US in both black and green. It would appear that this deal is similar to what they advertised for the Zeiss 10x40 Classics.

I saw them at L.L. Bean 2 weeks ago. You need to call the optics desk and inquire about it, its not on-line or in the catalog.

After extensive viewing with the 10x40B Classic, and testing against the 10x42 SLC old, I'd have to say the 10x40B is the better overall binocular, and a few dollars less. It's also more compact, more natural contrast, and much easier to handle, with a sweet spot that is so nice that it really makes the sharper edge-to-edge performance of the SLC a non-issue. The SLC does view a little warmer, but anytime I've used the SLC I want the view to pop out like it does with the Zeiss.

Edit: In other words, the SLC was very nice, but I wouldn't trade my 10x40B Classics for a pair even if you threw in a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:
I ordered my SLC's from L.L. Bean yesterday thanks to a post made by Sargean a day or two ago. They are selling for $819.00, with shipping they cost me $830.95, I've seen demo units & refurbs carrying higher price tags.

The only ones left in stock are the black 10x42mm SLCs and according to the customer service rep I spoke with, they are the last of "current" production. This is truly a once in a lifetime deal on new Swaros.

Buster said:
Are these "Swarobright" coated? Anyone have the contact number?

I'm assuming you're looking for the contact number for L.L. Bean, it's 800-441-5713. The customer service rep I spoke with said they were the last lot of "old" SLC production.

I read "last of old SLC" as meaning the last SLC made before the SLCnew came to be, and not as old, as in time not design, SLCs. Is that what you meant?

Robert Ellis said:
I read "last of old SLC" as meaning the last SLC made before the SLCnew came to be, and not as old, as in time not design, SLCs. Is that what you meant?

Correct.

If you're interested in a pair, you may be able to sweet-talk someone at L.L. Bean into hand-picking a set for you and then you could run the serial number from the bins through a Swarovski customer service rep. They can tell you the year of manufacture.

It may be possible, if you're nice and have a valid credit card, they would hold a particular set for you long enough to verify the year of manufacture.

Last edited:
Still in stock

I called last night after I found this forum and thread. The person on the phone transferred me to customer service. They called the retail store and there were some 10x42 black slc still in stock. I ordered a pair. I was going to eventually buy a pair of the new 10x42 slc, but for a $450 savings I can put up with the older design. It sounds like from what I read on here that the only difference is cosmetic and a change to the joint that may not be a change for the better?

Regards, Clint

There is also a change of coatings. From what I understand, the Swarobright coatings are a noticable improvement over the SLCold.

xenophobe said:
There is also a change of coatings. From what I understand, the Swarobright coatings are a noticable improvement over the SLCold.

SLC 8x30s that I handled in 1999-2000, and an SLC 7x30 made in 1999, which I handled recently, have a distinct amber cast. An SLC 8x30 that I handled last year, and which was new stock, lacked the warm tones. Based on that experience I concluded, perhaps incorrectly, that the latest of the "old" SLCs have the Swarobright coating.

The most recent pre-SLCnew were Swarobright coated, and are so indicated on the box. They are a great buy if they have a lifetime warranty.

10x42 received

I got them todayfrom LL Bean. Swarobright on the box, brand new, full warranty, serial # begins with a D if that means anything as far as a date code. They are sweet. $819 delivered, free shipping by using my wife's LL Bean Visa....

Regards, Clint

I called Swarovski and had them run the serial # on the pair I ordered. They are 2004 production, new in box, Swarobright coated, full warranty and they even threw in that cool little Swarovski Eagle pin for spending that amount of cash. (Sarcasm for those of you who don't know)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back