• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prague in March (1 Viewer)

James

I'm losing it!
Hi Folks

Got 4 days in Prague in March but with no car. Are there any good parks or special birds within easy reach of the city centre?
Any help appreciated.

James

James said:
Hi Folks

Got 4 days in Prague in March but with no car. Are there any good parks or special birds within easy reach of the city centre?
Any help appreciated.

James

Prague is one of my favourite cities, one of the most beautiful and interesting cities in Europe. I have been visiting it since 1963. You don't need a car in the city anyway, superb tram and metro service. There are far too many things to do and see in the city to bother about birdwatching, particularly if you only have four days. If you happen to see a few birds 'en passant', that is a bonus.

baillieswells said:
There are far too many things to do and see in the city to bother about birdwatching, particularly if you only have four days. If you happen to see a few birds 'en passant', that is a bonus.

Burn the heretic! ;)

James said:
Hi Folks

Any help appreciated.

James

The river near the Zoo is a good place for waterfowl if it's still cold.

Sorry, but I've keft my Czech birds book in Bohemia (can't carry everything from place to place) but I'm sure Adam will come up with the goods.

See also the FAT BIRDER CZECH PAGE which has a few useful leads and addresses.

baillieswells said:
Prague is one of my favourite cities, one of the most beautiful and interesting cities in Europe. I have been visiting it since 1963. You don't need a car in the city anyway, superb tram and metro service. There are far too many things to do and see in the city to bother about birdwatching, particularly if you only have four days. If you happen to see a few birds 'en passant', that is a bonus.

Have been before and yes it is beautiful but out of four days I can afford one birding. There are only so many museums and buildings I can look at that I haven't already seen!

baillieswells said:
No burning. In Prague for centuries they have defenestrated heretics and other undesirables by throwing them out of the windows of the town hall
.... and from the castle windows. Level seven is probably thinking of master John Hus whose statue is prominent on Prague's Old Town Square. But he was burnt at the stake at the Council of Constance.

David said:
.... and from the castle windows. Level seven is probably thinking of master John Hus whose statue is prominent on Prague's Old Town Square. But he was burnt at the stake at the Council of Constance.

I only meant it was heresy on BirdForum to suggest spending time doing something other than birding....

level seven said:
I only meant it was heresy on BirdForum to suggest spending time doing something other than birding....

Well .... some people spend more time on Bird Forum than they do out birding :bounce:

Take a tram out on the main road towards the airport until you reach the terminus. There is a great area here called Divoká Šarka. Just follow the path down behind the fast food restaurant.

John.

Visited in October a couple of years ago on a sightseeing trip. I did manage to get to a park across the river ( just east of the castle ) where there are feeders put out. Had northern long-tailed tit here but there are both grey-headed and middle-spotted woodpeckers present ,although I failed in the very limited time I had there.

jpoyner said:
Take a tram out on the main road towards the airport until you reach the terminus. There is a great area here called Divoká Šarka. Just follow the path down behind the fast food restaurant.

John.

I did this trip when I was in Prague in October. Certainly a great place to walk around, although I didn't find it particularly interesting regarding birds. Maybe I just had a bad day.

Let me just add to this one that the park is worth visiting indeed! I was in Prague three times in March, and the last time i discovered the park. They have feeders and the squirrels are everywhere. Also great spotted, middle spotted and green woodpecker. Next to that i saw the whiteheaded long tailed tit in the park as well. I had the luck of spotting a Syrian Woodpecker outside of Prague near Krivoklat Castle.

Have a great time!

Petrin Hill

James said:
Many thanks to all who have provided info.

James
HI .Get a local tourist map and find all the local parks and you will have a great time .Petrin Hll is a great park Black redstarts at the top aound the buildings
HAWFINCH and loads more within ten mins of the centre or a short tram ride buy a 2 or 3 day ticket and you have unlimited travel all day and you save a lot of money.And plenty of birds on the river below Charles Bridge.have a great trip let us know how you get on .You must try KRUSEVICE great local brew. john

john.roberts said:
HI .Get a local tourist map and find all the local parks and you will have a great time .Petrin Hll is a great park Black redstarts at the top aound the buildings
HAWFINCH and loads more within ten mins of the centre or a short tram ride buy a 2 or 3 day ticket and you have unlimited travel all day and you save a lot of money.And plenty of birds on the river below Charles Bridge.have a great trip let us know how you get on .You must try KRUSEVICE great local brew. john

Collared flycatchers are also present in the park by the observation tower (but is March too early for them?). Look for the peregrines which live on Tyn church in Old Town square. If you find any middle-spotted woodpeckers, tell me where, because I looked hard and only found great spotteds!

All good info.

Especially as I have now dumped the in-laws and am taking some birding friends (well willing to show interest)instead. So will get my day out after all!

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back