• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rabbit predators question (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
What creature would skin rabbit to the bone but leave it's feet intact?? In this vacinity we have fox, badger, mink, stoat and I'm told the odd otter but I haven't seen one...............

Annie :)

dont know annie...but would be great to find out. I doubt the "weasel" family(dont know name of that bunch"

Hi El Annie, I have cats that kill and eat rabbits, they usually start at the head, and leave the feet, or sometimes only half eat them but the fox and magpie are not averse to finishing off the leftovers, and the buzzard has been known to take the carcase away to its post. I think badgers eat all of the rabbit too, but don't know if they skin it first, Nina.

Strange one. As an ex-rabbit shooter meself, I would gut them in the field but finish the job at home. As described, it sounds exactly like what's left after skinning for the pot except the missing head. In my experience, humans don't usually have a use for a rabbit's head.
When I was a kid we had a cat and she used to leave a rabbits head trophy on the doorstep quite regularly. I dont know what she did with the rest of it though.

Mike

More Rabbit bits in field tonight.....

Hi all, yet more legs in the field tonight and the ducklings have all gone from the mill race, also a lot of empty duck eggs scattered about..............

The plot thickens..........

Annie :)

BTW I understand that Badger skin the Rabbit first, did think at one time that we had a sett, in fact I think we do have a sett but it's definitely not occupied by Brock, maybe Mr Fox is using it in his absence!!

I've got a rather gruesome photo of a Rabbit with it's top half missing, there were 2 Buzzards closeby so I presume it was the remains of their lunch.
Whatever it is Annie, it must be hungry.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back