• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic Red-Tailed Hawk?? Possibly? (2 Viewers)

TrailerDude

United States
Hey guys, I'm a newbie for sure. I live in East Texas. I've seen this bird for a few years now and I've tried to do some research on it. I figured i would come to the experts instead going down the rabbit hold of the internet to find out I have no idea what I'm looking at LOL. Ive been taking pics of this Hawk but these I took today. I generally see him few times a year and he is always on my property high in the trees. I guess my question is, what would be the official name of this bird and how rare is he. Its cool to see when he shows up. I'm close to the Lake Fork area so seeing a bald eagle is a common thing here but not a white Hawk. Any input would be great.DSC_0156.JPGDSC_0157.JPGDSC_0158.JPGDSC_0159.JPG

Hi TrailerDude and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What a gorgeous looking hawk you have there, you're so lucky. Yes, it would be a leucistic bird, but I'm afraid I couldn't give you an identification, so I'll move your post to the ID forum.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Seems to be no feather-pigmentation at all (dark 'markings' on flight-feathers in pics 2-3 appear to be shadows), so who knows - but structure looks ok for red-tailed hawk (and other Buteo, etc., species).

I agree that it looks like a Red-tailed Hawk based on its shape. In at least the first photo the eye looks like it may be red, which would make this an albino rather than leucistic.

Could it be a red-shouldered hawk? Seems to be a bit hunched in the last photo. Beautiful bird. congratulations on the photos.

Certainly a heavily leucistic buteo. (No pigment in the eye, none at all in the feathers, just a bit of yellow in the legs and beak. Fits at least one definition of albinism = "total absence of melanins".) Looks good for red-tail to me, though it's hard to be certain. I'd like to see a perfect side view of the head, to better judge beak size in proportion to the eye.

Certainly a heavily leucistic buteo. (No pigment in the eye, none at all in the feathers, just a bit of yellow in the legs and beak. Fits at least one definition of albinism = "total absence of melanins".) Looks good for red-tail to me, though it's hard to be certain. I'd like to see a perfect side view of the head, to better judge beak size in proportion to the eye.
I have my camera ready now so when he shows up try to get additional pics. Ill keep you posted. I'm just happy that I got any pics at all.

I would imagine that gets mobbed pretty frequently.
Only a few people that I know of have seen him. He lives most of the time on my place or the surrounding adjoining properties. As far as I know, he's pretty protected in this area. Very rural area here....With that said, about 2 years ago I had a guy taking pictures of him leaning across my fence. I thought it was the Tax man or something like that. He proceeded to tell me he's seen this bird a few years ago and was willing to trespass to get a good picture of him. He actually told me that it was easier to ask forgiveness than permission... I said, Not on this property its not LOL... kind of freaked me out when you come up on a guy with a telescopic lens on his cam taking pictures of your property.

Added to yellow legs and cere Ken, what does that prove?

Depends on your definition of "albino". A common one is "total absence of melanins". Reddish eye says that eumelanin is absent from the eye as well as from the feathers. I think the yellow of a hawk's cere and feet are mostly from carotenoids (rather than pheomelanin, which is a common yellow pigment in feathers) so this bird would fit.
If you insist on "total absence of all pigments [other than hemoglobin]" as your definition, then the yellow feet and cere disqualify this bird regardless of the type of pigment present.

Depends on your definition of "albino". A common one is "total absence of melanins". Reddish eye says that eumelanin is absent from the eye as well as from the feathers. I think the yellow of a hawk's cere and feet are mostly from carotenoids (rather than pheomelanin, which is a common yellow pigment in feathers) so this bird would fit.
If you insist on "total absence of all pigments [other than hemoglobin]" as your definition, then the yellow feet and cere disqualify this bird regardless of the type of pigment present.
You have answered my question, afaik, the 'clasic' albino has pink legs, not sure about the cere though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back