• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keffalonia (1 Viewer)

fatboyfat said:
Anyone done any birding on Keffalonia, Greece? Any bird and butterfly list would be gratefully received, thanks!

FBF
hi its ian carter from salisbury there are large swallow tailed butterflys small pink gecco,s large toads and also pale yellowish blackbird size birds not a clue what they are :flyaway: :flyaway:

ian carter said:
hi its ian carter from salisbury there are large swallow tailed butterflys small pink gecco,s large toads and also pale yellowish blackbird size birds not a clue what they are :flyaway: :flyaway:

Thanks, Ian. Golden Orioles for your Blackbird-sized birds?

FBF

Hi, just looking over my list from when I went in the autumn 2004. Highlights were loads of black redstart, azure winged magpie, blue rockthrush, redstart, sand martin and black kite. Also jay, italian sparrow, buzzard, med gull, gray and pied wagtails, goldfinch and some small birds of prey and warblers that were too far away to identify. When are you going? It's an island with alot of natural beauty and not crowded. I hope youhave a good time.

I'm also going for the first timme this August - I was interested to see Azure-winged Magpie on the list - I had not thought of that as a possibility.

There are various reports that state that Black Woodpecker breed on the island but are impossible to find - I would be interested in any information BFers might have.

I know that August is not ideal for birds (tied to school holidays and all that), but hopefully its eastern location might mean that there will be some return migration going on.

These are a few of the few reports that I have found:

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/Greece/Kefalonia/index.htm

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/Greece/Kefalonia2/kefalonia-oct-05.htm

If you look on flowers you may also see a hummingbird hawkmoth they are around in the day. Also swallows drinking from the swimming pools. Lizards and the Beetles (can't remember the name) sing in the evening in palm trees. If you look on the bark you may see the casts where they have moulted they look like locusts or giant crickets. They rub thier back legs together to make the noise. There are lots of bats too they also drink from the pool in daylight. Have a nice time.

willowa said:
If you look on flowers you may also see a hummingbird hawkmoth they are around in the day. Also swallows drinking from the swimming pools. Lizards and the Beetles (can't remember the name) sing in the evening in palm trees. If you look on the bark you may see the casts where they have moulted they look like locusts or giant crickets. They rub thier back legs together to make the noise. There are lots of bats too they also drink from the pool in daylight. Have a nice time.

Cicadas? (sp?)

John - apologies - I borrowed your link!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back