• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon highgrade question (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
just wanted to ask about the general build quality of nikon highgrades,can't remember where i saw it but i recall reading one or two posts about loose hinges on some highgrades.
this might be something that was more of a problem with the old model,currently using old opticrons and happy to continue until i find something i am comfortable about spending £700+ on a new pair,which at present stands at leica ultravids or nikon highgrades,possibly el's?

matt

Matt,

I've used HGs for a few years now

they've been in rainforests, been over 5000m, and cold situations too and seem okay.

the nameplate has been erased due to DEET but it's not a problem. Performance-wise i'd say they're doing as well as my 7 x 42 dialyts which have been everywhere over 16 years and are still going strong

they are currently going for not much over £350 at Warehouse Express (they were originally priced at around £1000... (both the Nikon 82 and ED78 are also at ridiculous prices compared to similar scopes)

matt green said:
... and happy to continue until i find something i am comfortable about spending £700+ on a new pair,which at present stands at leica ultravids or nikon highgrades,possibly el's?

matt

Make sure you also take the Zeiss FL models into consideration. They are certainly a better buy than the overpriced ELs. I don't think the ELs are bad, quite to the contrary, but they are not worth the extra money. It's mostly the warranty that seems to sell them, but I think with sufficient care one should be able to buy optics on a more positive note.

I don't know about loose hinges, but I bought a pair of 8x32s in November and the build quality looks and feels great to me. They aren't the lightest maybe, but I find them reassuringly solid.

Warehouse Express only have the 10x32s left, but at £339 they have to be a genuine bargain for anyone who likes 10x and needs, or wants, to watch the pennies a bit.

I bought them without having tried them first, but have been delighted. I thought, if they're good enough for Tim, they'll surely be good enough for me |;|

level seven said:
I don't know about loose hinges, but I bought a pair of 8x32s in November and the build quality looks and feels great to me. They aren't the lightest maybe, but I find them reassuringly solid.

Warehouse Express only have the 10x32s left, but at £339 they have to be a genuine bargain for anyone who likes 10x and needs, or wants, to watch the pennies a bit.

I bought them without having tried them first, but have been delighted. I thought, if they're good enough for Tim, they'll surely be good enough for me |;|
Agree with Graham.

matt green said:
just wanted to ask about the general build quality of nikon highgrades,can't remember where i saw it but i recall reading one or two posts about loose hinges on some highgrades.
this might be something that was more of a problem with the old model,currently using old opticrons and happy to continue until i find something i am comfortable about spending £700+ on a new pair,which at present stands at leica ultravids or nikon highgrades,possibly el's?

matt
I think the Nikons are the most durably made bins available. They certainly seem rugged in every way.

thanks for the above advice everyone,have compared the nikons,ziess,swaros
side by side at cleyspy and all seemed brilliant optically.

my choice will be mainly down to ergonomics and durability

the nikon highgrades,leica ultravids are top of the list,i also considered a pair of trinovids until they put the price up at £720.

eitherway when i have made my decision i'll be glad not to think about choosing bins again for a very long while :D

matt

matt green said:
thanks for the above advice everyone,have compared the nikons,ziess,swaros
side by side at cleyspy and all seemed brilliant optically.

my choice will be mainly down to ergonomics and durability

the nikon highgrades,leica ultravids are top of the list,i also considered a pair of trinovids until they put the price up at £720.

eitherway when i have made my decision i'll be glad not to think about choosing bins again for a very long while :D

matt
Aren't HGs still half price at Warehouse Express or are they sold out?

Regarding the Ultravid - when you're spending that much cash on a lifetime purchase, I really wouldn't let the price put you off. In five years you'll regret saving a hundred here or there as daft as that might sound now.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back