• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice On Nikon 82ed Scope With Zoom Lens Please!! (1 Viewer)

Bernard the cat

I'm thinking of getting a Nikon 82ED scope with a zoom lens - does anyone have any advice on this please??

I have some Nikon HGL 8x42 binns, & if the scope is anything like these then I'll have no hesitation in getting it.

My only possible concern with the scope is small field of view with the zoom lens (I'd want to get the zoom lens rather than a fixed mag one).

Does anyone know how this scope compares to the 'main players', especially Leica & Zeiss?? Or for that matter to the the Opticron ES80 ED, from which I'm upgrading??

I'd prefer not to pay too much over a grand for a scope (including lens & stay on case), though I want to be happy with it & not feel the need to upgrade again.

Many thanks

ocelot said:
I'm thinking of getting a Nikon 82ED scope with a zoom lens - does anyone have any advice on this please??

I have some Nikon HGL 8x42 binns, & if the scope is anything like these then I'll have no hesitation in getting it.

My only possible concern with the scope is small field of view with the zoom lens (I'd want to get the zoom lens rather than a fixed mag one).

Does anyone know how this scope compares to the 'main players', especially Leica & Zeiss?? Or for that matter to the the Opticron ES80 ED, from which I'm upgrading??

I'd prefer not to pay too much over a grand for a scope (including lens & stay on case), though I want to be happy with it & not feel the need to upgrade again.

Many thanks

Optically it compares very favourably with any of the top scopes, many would say it out performs them. I can't see any improvement at all between my ED 78 and any of the offerings from Zeiss, Leica, or swarovski. The zoom gives a relatively narrow view which you soon get used to, but it does start at 30X and is useful right out to it's 75X maximum. If you were to take up the warehouse Express offer you could buy a straight ED82 complete with 30x eyepiece ( a superb piece of kit giving a very wide field of view ) for £669 and after testing it you could if you wanted buy the zoom and still pay no more than you would for the two together. What is more you would still have £100 change from your £1000.

Hi Ocelot I have bought a Opticon ES 80 ED and a zoom and find fine I use it with my Nikin4500 and have taken a few pics with it and some are ok but in the hands of a person with more ex than me i would think it to be great a lot cheeper than some of the outher scopes.When used just to veiw birds it very good I compaired it at the shop with outher scopes I could not see a lot of difference but I am no expert on them all the best Chris

ocelot said:

Many thanks

If you do a bit of searching here in the Nikon thread and in the general section, you should find plenty of info and lots of favorable statements about the ED82. Just make sure you get the MC II coated zoom. The older one which has a fold-down rubber eyecup does not do justice to the great optics of the scope.

I tried several scopes of varying sizes out recently at Pagham and the ED82 was the one i kept going back to.

Had the chance to finally use it properly at Pulborough yesterday and it didn't disappoint me.

Yes the FOV on the zoom at the higher range isn't spectacular but still plenty for me once you have located your bird at the lower end.

Nice and clear ,sharp and natural image.

Try one and see.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back