• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Nikon Monarch 82ed-a spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Colin06

United States
Hello! So I've been looking to get my first spotting scope, and I think I'm going to be getting a Nikon Monarch 82ed-a. For any of you who have owned the monarch scope what are your opinions on it? Also are there any other scopes better than the monarch in the $1600 price range?

Hello! So I've been looking to get my first spotting scope, and I think I'm going to be getting a Nikon Monarch 82ed-a. For any of you who have owned the monarch scope what are your opinions on it? Also are there any other scopes better than the monarch in the $1600 price range?
There are several threads here discussing the Monarch 82. Check them out, especially Henry Link's review. The general consensus is they're excellent. If I were to get a new scope right now, the Monarch would be VERY high on my list.

Hermann

Colin, I've had a Monarch ED 82 for a couple of years now. I think it's an exceptional scope, and at it's price, it would be hard to beat. Do indeed read Henry Link's review - I have some comments there as well and a digiscoping example that will show you what the scope can do. The 20-60 zoom it comes with is good; the 30-60 WF zoom works better for me, albeit expensive. Good luck!

It is KING in its price range - and you will regret nothing about purchasing one. A truly phenomenal piece of kit.

Eye relief of the zoom eyepieces will be a concern if you wear glasses.

Measurements by Henry Link (and also my experience with the default monarch 3x zoom eyepiece):

20x - 16mm

35-40x - 11mm

60x - 12mm

Measurements were taken from the eyecup rim. From the eyelens glass the eye relief is about 2mm longer.

If you don't wear glasses, go for the scope body and the wide angle zoom MEP 30-60W eyepiece directly if you don't need the 20x magnification.

I have the nikon monarch ED82-s and it's amazing, clarity throughout the zoom is excellent the edges are also very sharp basically everything i expected a scope to do, very good clarity throughout the zoom range, very minimal chromatic abberation, feild of view isn't that bad and edge to edge clarity is also amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_7677.jpg
    IMG_7677.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7678-1.jpg
    IMG_7678-1.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 47
Colin, I've had a Monarch ED 82 for a couple of years now. I think it's an exceptional scope, and at it's price, it would be hard to beat. Do indeed read Henry Link's review - I have some comments there as well and a digiscoping example that will show you what the scope can do. The 20-60 zoom it comes with is good; the 30-60 WF zoom works better for me, albeit expensive. Good luck!
I dont have the wIde 30-60 but for 600$ that seems insanely high.. Is it worth more than the 20-60 in any other way other than FOV?

I dont have the wIde 30-60 but for 600$ that seems insanely high.. Is it worth more than the 20-60 in any other way other than FOV?
Hi CG,

Yes, FOV just makes the view more expansive. It is a bit short on ER compared to the 38x WF, but it's usable for me and my clients. I see more details with this EP than the 20-60 or 38. Finally, if it's important to you, the GoSky universal digiscoping adapter works perfectly. I had to give up on PhoneSkope.

The EP is heavy, so it does change the balance of my tripod. I had to move the foot further forward on the Arca plate.

Is it worth ~ $600? It's up to you. It is to me.

R-L

For those that went from the ED82 to Monarch 82, do you miss the 75x capability (assuming that you used the standard zoom EP)?

I know that conditions need to be good, but I was impressed with the ED82 at 75x.

For those that went from the ED82 to Monarch 82, do you miss the 75x capability (assuming that you used the standard zoom EP)?

I know that conditions need to be good, but I was impressed with the ED82 at 75x.
Personally, I've never missed the 75x. FOV, ER etc are problems as would be expected. I just generally bird in locations with a lot of heat and sun. Heat shimmer just makes high power not very usable.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back