• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rosas Spain (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

I got this off a website; and I am just wondering if anyone has a bit more info on the site, particularly the Marmora's Warblers, just want to know where it is and what would be around in March / April time. Any links to trip reports esp. around apr and march would be appreciated.

Rosas This reserve is situated just along the Mediterranean coast from the resorts of Estartit and La Escala on the Costa Brava. It consists of areas of inland lagoons and floods and extensive salt-marshes nearer the sea. Almost 300 bird species have been recorded with many species of passage waders and Flamingos are regularly seen. The sea is good in winter for divers and sea-duck. Species include: Little and Cattle Egrets, Purple Heron, Little Bittern, Flamingo, Marsh Harrier, Short-toed Eagle, Purple Gallinule, Kentish Plover, Stone-curlew, Black-winged Stilt, Little Tern, Scops Owl, Bee-eater, Hoopoe, Short-toed Lark, Blue Rock Thrush, Alpine and Pallid Swifts, Red-rumped Swallow, Tawny Pipit, Lesser Grey and Woodchat Shrikes, Penduline Tit, Black and Black-eared Wheatears, Savi's, Cetti's, Fan-tailed, Great Reed, Moustached, Orphean, Spectacled, Sardinian, Subalpine, Dartford, Marmora's and Olivaceous Warblers and Serin.

JakeApps

Hi Jake

I'm afraid that the quality of that information is very questionable. Take the Marmora's Warbler for example: there is only one accepted record of this species on the Catalan coast, and that was at Garraf near Barcelona in May 1997. Another example is the Lesser Grey Shrike which used to breed in and around the Aiguamolls Natural Park near Roses but which has not done so for the last few years. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point - I don't know what the web page is but it looks as if it was done hurriedly and without local knowledge of the area. There are much better, up-to-date references for this and other areas in Catalunya, one of which is a book written by an author who I'm not allowed to mention here under risk of accusations of plugging that particular author's book!

Regards
Steve west
www.geocities.com/westvidal

steve west said:
Hi Jake

I'm afraid that the quality of that information is very questionable. Take the Marmora's Warbler for example: there is only one accepted record of this species on the Catalan coast, and that was at Garraf near Barcelona in May 1997. Another example is the Lesser Grey Shrike which used to breed in and around the Aiguamolls Natural Park near Roses but which has not done so for the last few years. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point - I don't know what the web page is but it looks as if it was done hurriedly and without local knowledge of the area. There are much better, up-to-date references for this and other areas in Catalunya, one of which is a book written by an author who I'm not allowed to mention here under risk of accusations of plugging that particular author's book!

Regards
Steve west
www.geocities.com/westvidal

Hi Jake.

If Steve won't say it, I will.

The book you require is "Where the birds are in northeast Spain" by STEVE WEST.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back