• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat nesting behaviour. (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Saw a female Stonechat on the local patch today. She appeared to be collecting tiny pieces of dried grasses and straw from a ploughed field and proceeded towards a hedge. That seemed rather odd to me. Could she be building a nest, I wondered. There was no sign of a male and this was the first sign of any Stonechat at all on the patch this year.

So I would like to ask if a female Stonechat would build a nest then look for a mate or wait until she has found a mate?

BWP suggests that either the female chooses the nest site or the male starts off the nest before the female takes over the building.

Very Interesting, surely the singing male establishes territory and draws the female in. Sounds like a homosexual Stonechat to me. Keep ears pinned, she might start singing next.

Thanks Caper.

I shall try to get back to the area as soon as possible and see if I can spot a male.

The area is not known to me for breeding Stonechats so all the evidence somewhat points to some unusual behaviour I have not thought of yet but I shall keep an open mind and keep an eye out.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back