• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Crested Grebe nesting behaviour (1 Viewer)

UKBirder23

I've been keeping an eye on a pair of Great Crested Grebes nesting in my local marina. The first egg hatched on Wednesday, second hatched on Friday. I went to see them this morning, and only the female was there on the nest, looking around quite a bit. No sign of the male or the two chicks. A few minutes later, she left the nest, with the third egg still in it, and swam off into the river, calling quite regularly. She came back to the nest about twenty minutes later and swan around it a bit.
I had to go off then, but came back later and there's not a grebe in sight, just the one egg sitting in the nest, which several Mallards are now using as a diving board (getting in early practice for the Paris Olympics, no doubt). Does this sound like normal behaviour, or should I assume that the male and two chicks met with disaster on their first foray into swimming, and the female simply doesn't know what has become of them? Or have they just gone into hiding as young juvenile birds often do? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back