• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fieldcraft! (1 Viewer)

phyllosc

When I was a young birder books and established birders used to instill the need for good fieldcraft. Some of the threads here have already touched upon this sort of think but I think the best approach is to imagine you are hunting birds. You will need to get close in order to get a good 'shot'.

Tips for this would include moving calmly and slowly. Try to move like a grazing cow or sheep - ie, don't appear to be intent on getting closer.

Wear drab coloured clothes to help your human-shaped profile blend in to its surrowdings.

Learn from the birds and how they behave, ie, try to work out were they will be.

Fieldcraft is something you will gain from experience and keep learning the more you bird.

Dave Carr
Essex, UK

Hi Dave.

I agree with you , Fieldcraft is essential. As a birder/wildfowler
of over sixty years experience I think I know a little about both
subjects having wildfowled over many marshes and estuaries
throughout the UK. I migfht add it was not the shooting of say
a morning flighting Pinkfoof, but the sight and spectacle of these
truly magnificent birds at very close proximity due to prior knowledge of habits, habitat and indeed fieldcraft. Many today birders need to study fieldcraft a little more.

Regards John

Agreed 100%!!

Another one is to learn how to walk softly and quietly, even on crunchy dry leaves or gravel - I know someone who everywhere he goes, clomps louldy on the ground. He never seems to see many birds. Surprise, surprise!

Michael

I have to say, I am not so sure field craft like this is always needed, if I am looking for a bird hidden in the bottom of a bush then I will creep up to it, but other than that, most birds are used to people being around, and will spook more easily if something is happening that is different. What you have to ask yourselves is how close do you need to get? why risk disturbing a bird by getting close when with good optis you can view from a distance and not irratate the wildlife?

I do agree on learing bird behaviour though, it is esential to know where a bird will be and when, what it feeds on and where it roosts, otherwise you will never get to see them.

And Kevin I especially dis-agree with your comments on walking on the grass, over the established footpath, this is what leads to land being eroded and damages sometimes endangered plantlife. which is more important your stealth or the environment?

Ashley makes a good point, and whilst I wouldn't disagree in principle with anything said previously, I agree that it is all too easy to spook birds by "sneaking up" on them.

I guess it's all a matter of skillful tracking though, and knowing how close it is possible to get without geting too close.

This is clearly a skill I have yet to develop, but on occasion I talk to birds that I am approaching (when I know I've been spotted), as it is sometimes useful to come across them in their "I've seen you and I'm letting you know I've seen you" guise. Quite often they will make themselves obvious.

Fieldcraft IS a forgotten art, at least, forgotten by many.

On your next visit to a reserve or site, count the number of birders with £500+ binoculars wearing bright red fleeces, or "twitchers" who, having seen their quarry stand around on the top of a bank, breaking the skyline, sun behind them, chatting about their greatest "twitch" or "dip"!

Then there are the mobile 'phones, beeping pagers and people who can make more noise ercting a tripod than Concorde on take-off.

Sorry to rant on but you have touched a nerve!!

Bird- WHATchers

"Birder?" OR "Birdwatcher?",

I think this kiinda sums up, what i see happening in Birdwatching circles.

I recall a very loud & self-assured guy, lecture us on what he'd seen and where he'd been etc etc
He stood proudly in his ever so bright Red berghouse jacket, with his expensive Red-dotted bins & Red-dotted 'scope.

" I'm on 300 & something or other species this week, blah, blah, blah......"

The (Oneway) conversation dried up, and it was time for HiM to unleash his personal MasterClass before our very eyes....!......

Bins quickly lowered by he, and Scope locked on to Target!....

"Whats that Red legged wader, standing on that pipe.....?" says the almighty one

We were so incredulous that we had to just walk away.............

..............the bird in question was a female Mallard, only about 70m away!........ 3:)

"Are there any Birders, who wear Camouflage Gear..........?" asks steviewol

I've not seen any but that could mean one of two things;-)

Anyway, given the vast improvements in optics maybe fieldcraft as practised by a previous generation isn't so critical anymore - I guess it isn't quite so vital anymore to crawl on your belly in a zig zag pattern to get views of that interesting wader halfway across Morecambe Bay...

That's said, some people do seem to have had a commonsense by-pass.

MV

invisible birders.......

Mmm
Cunning answer MV, some birds are almost invisible too.......

Fieldcraft, is that a hovercraft that farmers use ?

Anyway, heres a chance for all you birders to 'Really Get With it Man'
Combat gear is 'real cool on da streets' at the moment, why not join in & give yourself & Birdwatching an image update.......:cool:

Stevie Evans

Sense of humour.....? seen one once...

Come on Dave, laugh !

I know YOU MUST have a sense of humour if you go around the countryside pretending to be a cow or a sheep.....!!!!!

You'd go down a treat in some of the forgotten little backwater villages up here....!!

3:)

I am a robot, exterminate!, exterminate!

Stevie
3:)

Last edited:
I birdwatch and smoke cigarettes simultaneously. How's that for an image. I think my wife and myself are the only smoking birdwatchers in Norther California.

Perhaps I should have said don't ever pretend to be a sheep when birding in Wales.

...well I've lit the blue touch paper now! Is that good enough for you Stevie

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back