• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Lens Coatings (1 Viewer)

LDueck

Question to Nikon owners: Have you noticed a difference in colour in the reflections given off by the coatings when comparing the barrels to each other?

The reason I ask is because I noticed such a difference when comparing the barrels of a pair of 8x32 SE's. I used a single point source (florescent day desk lamp) in a dark room to examine the colour of the reflections. When looking at the eyepieces the small reflections of the bulb, which appeared to be internal reflections, were similar in colour between the two barrels. However, the reflections in which the bulb appeared to be the biggest and which seemed to be on the surface showed a difference in colour between the two barrels. In one eyepiece the reflection was a light green-white, in the other it was a light blue-white, closer to the actual colour of the bulb. The colours were similar when viewed under an incandescent bulb.

When looking at the objectives the smaller internal reflections were similar in colour between the two lenses. Again, the largest reflection of the bulb which seemed to be a surface reflection showed different colours. In one lens it was a bright purple-magenta, while in the other lens it was a pinkish-white.

The light blue-white eyepiece and the pinkish-white objective had been cleaned, whereas the other lenses were untouched. The lenses were cleaned using an anti-reflective lens cleaning solution and a clean 100% cotton cloth.

Any comments on your experiences with Nikon coatings would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lowell

LDueck said:
Question to Nikon owners: Have you noticed a difference in colour in the reflections given off by the coatings when comparing the barrels to each other?

The reason I ask is because I noticed such a difference when comparing the barrels of a pair of 8x32 SE's. I used a single point source (florescent day desk lamp) in a dark room to examine the colour of the reflections. When looking at the eyepieces the small reflections of the bulb, which appeared to be internal reflections, were similar in colour between the two barrels. However, the reflections in which the bulb appeared to be the biggest and which seemed to be on the surface showed a difference in colour between the two barrels. In one eyepiece the reflection was a light green-white, in the other it was a light blue-white, closer to the actual colour of the bulb. The colours were similar when viewed under an incandescent bulb.

When looking at the objectives the smaller internal reflections were similar in colour between the two lenses. Again, the largest reflection of the bulb which seemed to be a surface reflection showed different colours. In one lens it was a bright purple-magenta, while in the other lens it was a pinkish-white.

The light blue-white eyepiece and the pinkish-white objective had been cleaned, whereas the other lenses were untouched. The lenses were cleaned using an anti-reflective lens cleaning solution and a clean 100% cotton cloth.

Any comments on your experiences with Nikon coatings would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lowell
Lowell,

Did you leave residue on the lens?

John

John Traynor said:
Lowell,

Did you leave residue on the lens?

John

John,

I don't think there was any residue left on the lenses. I can't check now because the bins are back at the dealers' and they are taking a look at them and are going to ask Nikon about it.

The anti-reflective lens cleaner I used is the one I use on my AR coated eyeglasses and I have never noticed any residue on them or any other ill effect. On the bins, after using a blower brush to remove dust, I first used a cotton Q-tip swab moistened with cleaner to remove the spot, and then a general spray of lens cleaner removed with a cotton cloth.

Are Nikon coatings delicate and prone to damage? Could general cleaning remove a layer of coating? What do you Nikon owners use for lens cleaning?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Lowell

LDueck said:
Are Nikon coatings delicate and prone to damage? Could general cleaning remove a layer of coating? What do you Nikon owners use for lens cleaning?
Lowell,

Nikon coatings are not delicate or prone to damage: chemically they stand any kind of lens cleaning solutions. But - I guess John meant this - many eyeglass cleaning solutions contain silicone, which leaves a layer on the lens - and this, of course, may interfere with the ...er... interference, and cause a colour change.

What the Nikon lenses don't stand as well as eg. Swaro & Leica lenses are hard, scratching particles.

Best regards,

Ilkka

iporali said:
Lowell,

Nikon coatings are not delicate or prone to damage: chemically they stand any kind of lens cleaning solutions. But - I guess John meant this - many eyeglass cleaning solutions contain silicone, which leaves a layer on the lens - and this, of course, may interfere with the ...er... interference, and cause a colour change.

What the Nikon lenses don't stand as well as eg. Swaro & Leica lenses are hard, scratching particles.

Best regards,

Ilkka
Ilkka,

The coatings on the SE eyepieces should be treated very carefully. Though the coating material itself is tough, the SE the eyepiece coatings are not as smooth as they might appear to the eye and they are very hard to get "spotlessly" clean, especially when viewed from the side. Apply a bit too much pressure in an effort to get them spotlessly clean and I guarantee you will soon remove coating material. A very gentle cleaning will suffice, as long as the lens isn't dry.

John

John Traynor said:
Apply a bit too much pressure in an effort to get them spotlessly clean and I guarantee you will soon remove coating material.
John,

I agree about gentle cleaning - but that really sounds like too delicate coatings to me. I will try to have a look if I have already succeeded to damage my SEs. :eek!:

BTW, If you can somehow find pure methanol and apply it carefully (avoiding any skin contact) in the final cleaning stage, you should easily get the lenses spotlessly clean. But it is clearly not a general purpose cleaning solution for everyone.

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back