• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amphibian lists (1 Viewer)

Hannes

Has been keeping a frog list for some time now,

Started by the time I left Kenya but it’s not until now, when I live here in Cameroon as I have started to take it seriously, Cameroon is probably the frog richest country in Africa. Cameroon and the DR Congo are currently "competing" over the first place.

DR Congo currently got 24-25 more species, but Cameroon is after all much worse explored and as recently as two weeks ago 7 new frogs (4 new to science) and 2 toads (both new to science) was discovered here in Cameroon, and of these, all those ones new to science is assumed to be endemic to Cameroon.

The number of endemic + the fact that 90% of those amphibians which lives in Cameroon are extremely poorly known only makes it more interesting.

During my years here in Cameroon I have recorded no less 159 species, and the current Cameroon list is on ca 199 species. Was also part of the description of Hyperolius nienokouensis, a West African species described 1999. Have also found a dozen species at new localities

My total list covers no less than 278 species; of those species I have seen outside Cameroon most have been in Southern Kenya, South-west Tanzania, South-west Uganda, West DR Congo, Nigeria, Gabon (including Bioko), Northern Angola, Benin, Togo and Ghana

Most recently in The Gambia were I saw 22 of the countries 23 species (were the highlights were three Hyperolius occidentalis and two Ptychadena tournieri, both “lifers”). For those interested the Kotu wetlands and Bijilo forest are two superb places where you are able to see all but one, of the amphibians in The Gambia.

A few species has also been seen in South Africa and South-east Mozambique.

Some of the future trips I have planned include Ethiopia, South Africa (extensive search), Sao Tome-Principe, Southern Zambia and North-west Zimbabwe.

Dream trips would be Madagascar for all its endemics and to go to South America (Peru or Colombia) for the poison frogs, but it’s far too expensive for me right now and will take years before I will get to either of these places.

Would say that the members Hyperolius family are my favourites, especially the West and Central African ones, to choose some favourite species is very hard, but after all, there is no frogs which are such beautiful or interesting to watch as the Hyperolius riggenbachi.

Last recorded: Arthroleptis variabilis, seen today

Last lifer: Hyperolius adametzi a Cameroon endemic and just known from two localities, seen in February 2006

Going to Mt Cameroon on Tuesday, will hopefully become a good mix of bird watching and frog recording.

Photo 1: Afrixalus paradorsalis (occurring in South-east Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea?)

Photo 2: Afrixalus fulvovittatus (occurring from Southern DR Congo to The Gambia)

Photo 3: Alexteroon obstetricians (so far only known from Cameroon, but likely to occur in Gabon as well)

Attachments

• treefrog from Cameroon 1_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 1_edited.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 181
  • treefrog from Cameroon 2_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 2_edited.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 206
  • treefrog from Cameroon 3_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 3_edited.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 160
Photo 1: Arlequinus krebsi (Endemic to North-west Cameroon, known from only two localities)

Photo 2: Chlorolius koehleri (Endemic to West Cameroon)

Photo 3: Hyperolius sylvaticus nigeriensis (occurring in South-west Nigeria and North-west Cameroon)

Photo 4: Hyperolius riggenbachi riggenbachi (Endemic to Northern Cameroon)

Photo 5: Hyperolius bolifambae (occurring in South-east Nigeria and Cameroon)

Attachments

• treefrog from Cameroon 4_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 4_edited.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 194
  • treefrog from Cameroon 5_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 5_edited.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 208
  • treefrog from Cameroon 6_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 6_edited.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 162
  • treefrog from Cameroon 8_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 8_edited.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 181
  • treefrog from Cameroon 9_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 9_edited.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 155
Photo 1: Leptopelis millsoni (occurring from South-east Nigeria to East DR Congo)

Photo 2: Hyperolius bopleti (Endemic to North-west Cameroon)

Photo 3: Leptopelis brevirostris (Endemic to Cameroon)

Photo 4: Opisthothylax immaculatus (occurring in Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon and DR Congo)

Attachments

• treefrog from Cameroon 10_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 10_edited.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 182
  • treefrog from Cameroon 11_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 11_edited.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 145
  • treefrog from Cameroon 12_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 12_edited.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 159
  • treefrog from Cameroon 14_edited.jpg
    treefrog from Cameroon 14_edited.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 182
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back