• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Advice As a New Digiscoper (1 Viewer)

Not very satisfied on my first results at Digiscoping. Using a Coolpix 45000 with a Bushnell Spacemaster and a homemade adapter. Photos are tripod shot with a remote release. Have used setting on the Coolpix as recommended by Andy Bright in the UK. I'm sure your answers will fit into one of three categories:

1./ "About the best you can do for a Spacemeaster" Perhaps my expectations are too high with this scope (my biggest problem is clear focus of the image - even afte using a makeshift sunshade for the viewng screen on the coolpix)

2./ "Give it time and patience"

3./ "What you need to consider is (fill in the blank)"

Pictures are posted on the following site

http://members.shaw.ca/fplumptre/birds

PS many thanks to Andy Bright for his camera set-up tips - clear to understand and have given some improvement

PSS Also like to thank those who gave me a warm welcome as a new member of the group

I'm quite new to digiscoping myself (with decentish equiptment), but I noticed one thing you don't seem to do is remove the hue (blue outline) surrounding the birds, in a good imaging programme, that will probably help improve the images. I am also starting to wonder about the scopes used, I use an old Optolyth TBS80 scope, note its not HD, and I am struggling to get anything brilliant (my best shots are OK, at most) I think the new High Deffinition scopes would improve this, I'll have to save my money up.

By the way I would love to have taken some of your pictures, the sandhill ane is superb, as are the canada geese. Good luck with in the future with this annoying hobby!!

Appreciate the reply and feedback Ashlie:

As far as removing the blue tinge. I'll work on that in Photo Shop elements (not sure how to do that yet).

I'll have to save up for a better scope too. I'm just afraid I can't sneek any more gear through the basement window.

My wife is quite "satisfied" that I limit my purchases in this new hobby to what I have now.

Regards, Frank

Personally, I think there are some very good shots there.... notably the juv Bonaparte's Gull. Many show plenty of feather detail, perhaps some slight focus issues with a couple of them and maybe a bit of motion blur with at least one other (the Heron with a Flounder, although titled as Sandhill Crane).
I don't remember seeing many better from that scope.

You can't really get away from the fact that your scope will generally struggle to get the sort of images that expensive scopes manage... Ash has mentioned the Chromatic Abberation, and like he says, it can be removed fairly easily (Shelduck, Ash 3:) A few tips here http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/Digiscopingwithphotoshop.html
But a high quality scope will make life easier for focusing ..... a high contrast and sharp image from the scope will have an impact on what you see in the monitor.

You will get more consistant as you become more familiar with the method (and camera), you'll get to know how the camera focuses (and that it likes to focus on the nearest subject, no matter what you tell it). Don't be afraid to experiment with camera settings.... my ones are just general guidelines that may not apply or suit everyone.

I still think these are excellent shots for a beginner with a scope such as yours.
Andy

And now a non-digiscoper...

Frank, I wonder if you've been looking at the site www.jayandwanda.com
(sections there on "Digiscoping on the Cheap" and making your own sunshade).

I liked your pictures very much too, but I guess we'd all have to admit that in one or two your equipment has been found out. Your wife should really be the first to know ;)

I have a faint recollection that Andy Bright may have suggested somewhere that using astro scopes for digiscoping was outside the scope of this forum. So it is with some diffidence that I suggest that the cheapest way to get virtually CA free digiscoped pictures is by using a Maksutov telescope (particularly end of last year and early this when the Meade ETX90 RAs were being sold off in the USA for about $150).

Then again, if your background is as a birder, you might find going to using less robust, non waterproof scopes in the field too much of a retrograde step. Ah well, Swarovski it is then...

Meantime, I wonder if any digiscopers out there would recommend you getting the "real McCoy" Xtend-a-view to help with focussing?

www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendaview/index.html

Hi Frank

I have the extend a view pro sunshade & it`s brilliant it certainly helps me to get more shots in focus.As for removing colour fringing here`s how to.Go into elements click enhance a drop down menu will appear,select colour another menu appears click on the colour represents the same colour that is surrounding your image,then slide the saturation arrow right back to the left.This should remove the fringing.

Regards Stevo.

So Andy Bright hath spoken; and He hath confirmed thou havest a talent. And He saith unto you, thou shalt not hide thy light under a Bushnell.

(sorry Andy, just had to get that pun in somehow)

o:D

While writing previous post, forgot that the whole idea of "invoking the mighty one" was to be part of Frank's plea to wife for more funds. Maybe a Bird Forum petition would do the trick. OK maybe not.

On a slightly less jovial note, looking at jayandwanda site can't help getting that "wondering what if" feeling when looking at the earlier pictures with the lesser scope. Does everyone have this personality defect? Perhaps most digiscopers are so busy trying to get ever better pictures that they never have that dubious luxury of time for regrets such as eg. they didn't make an upgrade sooner...

You could be on to something there, Peter. Maybe there is scope for a new digiscoping song which we could all sing together on digiscoping saints day.

Then again, further discussions on this should perhaps take place on another thread before Frank from Canada concludes that the British are a bunch or raving loonies...

So there you are Frank. You've got all the info. you need from Kevin on how to be a successful digiscoper. For the smaller items like Xtend-a-View Pro, memory cards etc. you need to try to persuade your relatives that these make better gifts at Christmas and birthdays than socks and handkerchieves. For the major items, you'll need to establish a worldwide reputation as a crooner, retire several times and amass a fortune of several million dollars. Simple. I'm half tempted to have a go meself.

Norm

P.S. In our defence, we're not used to the sunshine.

B :)

I had the same issues of chromatic abberation and lack of resolution with a bushnell discoverer. The purple/blue is easy to remove but the yellow is much more difficult because it is a fundamental part of the image. The sharpness can be tweaked up to a point but I found that I had to resort to making a smaller final image. It is frustrating when a bird looks so good in view but not in camera. I have taken the liberty of copying the juvenile gull and processing it it photoshop 6 using a series of actions I used for my bushnell discoverer and then slightly downsizing the image.

Attachments

• bonaparte_gull_juv-web.jpg
    bonaparte_gull_juv-web.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 354
Here's my version with the Belted Kingfisher, just a minute or two needed.... there's even a natural catchlight in the bird's eye when you boost the levels in it.
Andy

Attachments

• belted20kingfisherfix.jpg
    belted20kingfisherfix.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 327
You can eliminate most of the blue tinge with Photoshop. Image/Adjustment/Hue-Saturation/Edit = blue/and move saturation slider to the left.

Joe

To all concerned: thanks very much for the tips. A very friendly and lively group I've joined - felt like I've know you all for years!

Ashley - now that I can spell your name properly, thanks for your tips ie: removing the blue fringing

Andy - thanks for your advise and encouragement. But here is the BIG question how did you fix up the King Fisher such that my wife said "Why don'y you fix up your pictures like the guys in the UK". She was amazed as I was at the difference. Apart from reviewing your photshops techniques page.

WHAT OTHER TRICKS DID YOU USE (or did you reshoot the King Fisher in the UK :) )

Normjackson - for your wit and encouragement

Stevo - on removing fringing and sunshades

Kevin - also for your humour and insight. Please note, sneaking it through the basement window is just an expression. I don't actually do this. Its an old expression from my amateur radio days where the husband would sneak a new piece of gear through the window and place the gear with all the other bits on the radio shelf hoping the wife would not notice. The other point made with thismethod is that any large objects whihc won't fit through, are risky to sneak in.

peter hayes - for your humour thoug I don't think Frank Sinatra's eyes suffer from blue fringing

dahyon - for your fix on the bonaparte gull

Joe A. - for your blue fringe removal techniques

Hope I didn't forget anybody

Oh well, now that the boys have succeeded in substantially undermining your argument to wifey for getting a new scope :C I guess I may as well try to join in. I had a go at the easy one (the crow) just using Andy's techniques...

Attachments

• crow2.jpg
    crow2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 291
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back