• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa - guiding??? (1 Viewer)

Didier Godreau

South Africa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

we are thinking of going to South Africa next autumn: when is the best period to visit?

Do you know serious local guide or good company that can provide excellent birding there?

Appreciate any help and advice you can give and testimonials if possible!

Didier
;-)

I was just in SA during March with Crusader Safaris. They have some of the BEST connections to birding in SA and they provide an incredible experience in several different areas. While they are a hunting company- they are very well connected and able to answer your questions.

South Africa - guiding??

My wife and I had the good fortune to choose Brian Vanderwalt when we visited Cape Town recently. He has considerable knowledge and experience and nothing was too much trouble for him. We had the benefits of this exclusively, as we had him all to our selves. He provides the transport. His website is www.brians-birding.co.za. He covers South Africa and Namibia to my knowledge and possibly other African countries. I have no hesitation recommending him.
Good luck.
John Gibson

May be of help

Didier Godreau said:
South Africa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

we are thinking of going to South Africa next autumn: when is the best period to visit?

Do you know serious local guide or good company that can provide excellent birding there?

Appreciate any help and advice you can give and testimonials if possible!

Didier
;-)

Hi , we love birding and to help visiting birders around. We live in the Limpopo Province near the Kruger Park. We are not a service or a bussiness, just birders who would like to help other birders, our house is open if you are coming to this part of the country.

Regards,
Casper

Hi Didier

If you're going to be travelling around, its well worth getting the recently published 'Southern African Birdfinder - Where to find 1,400 bird species in southern Africa and Madagascar' I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it is a fantastic resource and even if you are relying on a guide it will give you very useful background info about the sites you will be visiting.

It is available from the African Bird Club (www.africanbirdclub.org) at a discounted (post free) price of £17.99 (normally £19.99). Postage rates to Europe & elsewhere apply.

Cheers, Phil

Many thanx Phil!!
:t:
Didier

plectrophenax said:
Hi Didier

If you're going to be travelling around, its well worth getting the recently published 'Southern African Birdfinder - Where to find 1,400 bird species in southern Africa and Madagascar' I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it is a fantastic resource and even if you are relying on a guide it will give you very useful background info about the sites you will be visiting.

It is available from the African Bird Club (www.africanbirdclub.org) at a discounted (post free) price of £17.99 (normally £19.99). Postage rates to Europe & elsewhere apply.

Cheers, Phil

We (10 of us) used John McAllister last November and were very happy. If you questions PM me.

SA appears to have a plethora of good tour leaders/guides.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back