• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Korhaan in the Kalahari - help needed (2 Viewers)

Ralph Timmermann

Hello all,

can someone maybe help me with this Korhaan? I find it surprisingly diffcult to identify him/her in Newman's Birds of Southern Africa. Red-crested Korhaan (even the female) should have a black underside, Northern Black Korhaan should have a white ring separating the head from the neck. And yet this latter one seems to be closest to what I am looking for.

Picture taken along the Dune Road between the Auob and Nossob Valleys in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

Curious to hear your thoughts, with best regards,
Ralph

Attachments

• RTZ11940vsdxke.jpg
    RTZ11940vsdxke.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Barred upperbody + reddish on bill = northern black korhaan.
(There is black on the underbody, and the white-below-head thing seems to be more of a red-crested korhaan thing than a northern black korhaan thing? - and doubtfully present here.)

Last edited:
No problem here for female Northern Korhaan: heavily barred upperparts, pink base of bill with white subterminal patch, yellow legs. From Roberts second edition:

Attachments

• IMG_4229.jpeg
    IMG_4229.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 31
The back is heavily marked with white chevrons
Rather feeble ones - and I doubt that you'd describe them as that unless you knew they were 'supposed' to be there; also, there is strong clear barring present, which is not a feature of red-crested korhaan. If you check photos of red-crested korhaan (ignoring misidentified photos of northern black korhaan by using the bill-tip feature described above), you'll see the real chevrons of that species are much more striking (far longer and more contrasting) than in the OP's photo.

Hello all,

thank you very much for your help! Glad to see it was not totally totally obvious :) And also that my closest-to-being-a-choice was not incorrect.

Cheers,
Ralph

The back is heavily marked with white chevrons in the OP. I had always believed this was a feature of Red-crested.
I don't see any chevrons here, I'd say it's fairly densely barred and looks nothing like the chevrons on R-c K

I agree with Northern Black. The Red crested female has black extending onto lower breast. Also agree with the chevrons comments. They are very obvious on the Red crested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back