• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never tried to ID... (1 Viewer)

Draco

About the only reason that I took this pic. is that I've been looking at all of the great shots you folks are taking. It would be nice to know what this fellow/gal turned out to be though. Any guesses about this mid-Michigan Dragonfly?

Attachments

• dscn0088.jpg
    dscn0088.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 238
Thanks walwyn.

I'm trying to figure out how to use these digital cameras. It's sure different from the old SLR!

that's a great pic, Draco. Newly emerged or teneral dragonflies often don't have the colours of the mature insects. An expert would be able to tell by examining the exuvia (larval case) which is still attached. I'm no expert but my guess is that something has gone wrong with the emergence of this insect. It's wings seem to be trapped in the exuvia. Did you see what happened to it in the end?
Nice use of the digital camera even if you are new to it! :t:

Thanks to you too, Surreybirder!

I watched it until dark, hoping to get a wing pattern. I think that you are correct. It was several hours and I thought that it should have shed the exuvia (thanks for the new word) in that time, too.

Mark

Forcreeks seems to be our resident US expert. I don't know if he's seen this thread.
Did you use some sort of color filter, Mark? The violet colour is really striking!

Heck no!

Filters? - I'm still trying to figure out how to use all of the features on the camera! This board has got me interested in all sorts of new things to try. I've yet to get a decent digiscoped photo, but I'm working on that too. It's all very interesting and nice when you get a decent shot, but I'd have a lot more pocket change if I hadn't stumbled onto this Web site.;)

Thaks again,
Mark

Know what you mean, Mark--at least with digital photos you can discard the poor ones without having wasted any cash!
If the exuvia was really that color, I wonder if that's a good identification clue?

I didn't notice the purple hue until you mentioned it. I can't think of anything nearby that may have caused any purple reflection and I shot the green damselfly at almost the same time. I do remember it having the light blue tail. The water in the nearby lake is brown. The blue flowers that are blurred are wild foget-me-not, but I don't think that there are enough to cause a reflection, even if the flash was used - good eye!

If I had to pay for all of the shots that I've deleted I'd have to sell the house!!!

I've looked in Dunkle but couldn't find anything too convincing. The nearest I can see on a very quick look is roseate skimmer Orthemis ferruginea but I'm probably way off--especially if Mi is in the north of the US!

Hi, just back in from a trip over our Independence Day holiday. Agree with everything above: problem emergence, and juvenile (whoops- teneral) coloration different, let alone female. Yes, wrong locations for the Tropical King Skimmer: Roseate. Afraid I'm going to have to go to Dunkle too, and will opine back here if an idea hits! Thanks, and great and interesting photo too!

Last edited:
Okay, I'm looking in Dunkle book and a good bet might be female Slaty Skimmer Libellula incesta (hmmm.. that last part interesting); abundant in east.

Thanks Forcreeks!

Looks like I'll have to get a copy of that book. This is getting interesting. Michigan is "technically" the midwest, but it's east of the Mississippi - good enough for me! I'm going to post another that should be easier. My first "digiscoped" photo that I consider fit to post.

I appreciate you sharing your time and knowledge!

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back