• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying out binoculars when no stores nearby? (1 Viewer)

RogK

United States
I apologize if this topic is already covered elsewhere. I tried to do some searches but didn't manage to find anything.

I've read many reviews of good quality binoculars. Many recommend trying different binoculars, and this makes sense in the $400 to $800 price range we're looking at. We don't live near any stores that carry multiply good binocular brands. How does one check out multiple different binoculars? I have checked with Amazon customer service about buying multiple binoculars, and then returning the ones not wanted. While they stated that this was OK, I don't want to abuse their excellent return policy.

How would you go about trying binoculars in a similar situation?

Hi and welcome.

How far is the nearest binocular store?
It might be worth a trip.

Buy the binocular you test, not an identical boxed one, as there is sample variation.

Regards,
B.

Hi and welcome.

How far is the nearest binocular store?
It might be worth a trip.

Buy the binocular you test, not an identical boxed one, as there is sample variation.

Regards,
B.
Thanks, Unfortunately the nearest store I can find online that carries all the brands we're interested in is over 2 hours away - not impossible, but inconvenient. I do worry about sample variation if I order binoculars online. Rog

Is there a birding club near you that you could join ?
Then you could see what the members there have
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I have looked a "birding festivals." Some come up next May. Rog

Just a few words, RogK... It's not at all 'abusing' to use the Amazon customer service return policy rules ! It’s precisely made for that when needed !!... But I can understand your discomfort, it depends on each person.
Of course, I don't know your situation, status, etc etc... But when you say you don't live near any optical store, don't you think you're exaggerating a bit when in fact there is one just 2 hours away ?... This is the case for many people.
2 hours is really nothing, what's more to give you a nice gift, and you won't see the time pass !!
Just an advice, if you make this trip, call this store before, and check the availability of what you would like to test, etc, then make an appointment.
For sure you will find equipment that will suit you !!! ;)

If you've got a reserve near you chat with the other birders - most will be more than happy for you to try their binoculars for a few minutes. It won't give you a full test but might rule out some or give you other ideas.

I’d second the above, always happy to show people things if ever anyone would ask! I’ve bought many of the binos I’ve got without testing first (many secondhand too), you get a good idea of what might work or not from an average of reviews (glare, eye relief, blackouts etc etc)… not ideal, not perfect, but has worked so far. Sometimes reserves have a good selection of optics, you could turn up early, try as many as possible and leave with the “best option for you” (though some might exceed your budget, so best start at the cheaper end…)

Peter

I apologize if this topic is already covered elsewhere. I tried to do some searches but didn't manage to find anything.

I've read many reviews of good quality binoculars. Many recommend trying different binoculars, and this makes sense in the $400 to $800 price range we're looking at. We don't live near any stores that carry multiply good binocular brands. How does one check out multiple different binoculars? I have checked with Amazon customer service about buying multiple binoculars, and then returning the ones not wanted. While they stated that this was OK, I don't want to abuse their excellent return policy.

How would you go about trying binoculars in a similar situation?
That's exactly what I did. I ordered 3 pairs from Amazon, and a pair from Tract. I returned all three from Amazon and kept the Tract. I don't see it as abuse. The main reason I shop at Amazon is easy returns, it's part of their business model.

Thank you to all of you. I've contacted both Amazon and B&H. Both have been very accommodating with their return policy, so I may have to go this way. I certainly agree that if I can find a store within a couple of hours that carries all the binoculars we're interested in, it would be worth the drive. So far I've not found that, but I have found where I can try at least one that I'm very interested in. I usually like to try one less expensive and one more expensive before making the final decision. I'm starting to look at even larger cities. As suggested, I'll check out some local birding clubs also. RogK

Thank you to all of you. I've contacted both Amazon and B&H. Both have been very accommodating with their return policy, so I may have to go this way. I certainly agree that if I can find a store within a couple of hours that carries all the binoculars we're interested in, it would be worth the drive. So far I've not found that, but I have found where I can try at least one that I'm very interested in. I usually like to try one less expensive and one more expensive before making the final decision. I'm starting to look at even larger cities. As suggested, I'll check out some local birding clubs also. RogK
Trying binoculars in a store never satisfies me, though it's surely better than not handling them at all. You really need to spend more time with them. I like to sit down in my home and open a door/window and try them on the yard birds etc. It can take a bit to get a feel for what works for your face & eyes.

Another note. I'm a big fan of B&H. If you plan to buy from them consider getting their Payboo card. It pays the sales tax, which can be significant. I've found no downside to it.

I can understand you as I didn't want to abuse their policy and didn't want to 'use a new pair' , only to know that they have to now sell it as a used pair and discounted. I didn't find that to my liking, as a consumer. For, as a consumer....when I get place my money on a pair of new bins, I want MYSELF to be the first one to feel them out of the box. I don't want open box, or smudges etc....

This is what I did.....

***Granted,....you are away from a store but do this over time if needed. Visit the stores when you can. Make a special two hour trip on a day off, ...treat it as an adventure. Even then you won't really get an idea of the item by playing around with it within the store, under their fake lights etc. it still allows you to hold them in your hand.

***So... Look at USED items for sale in stores such as B and H and Adorama...or ask about in other larger retailers like Sports Optics etc. Everyone will have used items. If you order in the used binocular and don't like it, just send it back. It is already used, so you are not taking a brand new binocular and turning it into a used item. Easy to send back with their return policies and again, it is used to begin with.

***Some places like Geo GPO have loaner binoculars you can try and send back. They will be 'used' and in some cases heavily, but....they give you an idea of what to look for. I believe other manufactures have a similar policy if you go directly to them...contact customer service ... Like Zeiss, Swaro... Meopta, Nikon etc....

*** Borrow or look at others in the field as you go birding on an Audubon hike. I find that everyone is more than willing to at least have you take a look, feel etc... I have had people ask me to borrow mine just for a quick look. Not the best way as you don't get too much of a look but you might knock one off your list.

But yes, I would avoid at all costs getting in new ones and sending them back. Not fair to the potential buyer as I imagine some retailers put them back and sell them as new. No....I don't want that and I will not be part of that.

I have found it useful to join other birders and ask to borrow their binoculars if I see something I might be interested in buying. I have at least 3 active birding groups or clubs in my immediate area and they have 3-4 outings each month.

On one such outing at a nearby nature reserve I borrowed a Nikon Monarch 5 12x42 and ended up buying one for myself. I would not have done so if I had not been able to try them out in the field. I would have thought 12x would be too difficult to keep steady when used hand held but I found that this was not actually the case.

I agree with approaching an ornitho' club is a good suggestion, but at the same time, arriving there, new and totally unknown, must not be so easy to approach everyone while asking for their binoculars for test ! ahaha !!!
The world is not always so heavenly and easy ! 😋

I agree with approaching an ornitho' club is a good suggestion, but at the same time, arriving there, new and totally unknown, must not be so easy to approach everyone while asking for their binoculars for test ! ahaha !!!
The world is not always so heavenly and easy ! 😋
Right.... you do need to kind of be a known commodity in order to borrow someone's $$$ binoculars! Jim

Agree with post # 12. A two hour drive to a store should be viewed as a day out, perhaps incorporating an enjoyable late lunch to peruse your mornings testing and thoughts. Given that there are nowadays few outlets that contain a good range of optics it should be a day we'll spent, although potentially making a dent in your plastic post dessert!
I always preach try before you buy.
Good luck.

Does anyone really think that a thief is going to hang out with a group of birders and hope that they can steal the binoculars? And then they need to get away and then they need to sell them somewhere.

As a photographer I have often seen people with cameras who are very uncomfortable around people that they do not know and will use very long telephoto lenses to sneak a shot. I am not an extrovert but I have never had a problem approaching a stranger anywhere when I can speak their language.

Does anyone really think that a thief is going to hang out with a group of birders and hope that they can steal the binoculars?
Ahaha, in my mind I wasn't thinking about theft at all, Elkhornsun !...
But imagining the situation, it made me smile 'stupidly' to imagine a complete stranger arriving in a club, and asking everyone to try on their binoculars...
it's possible, yes, if you're not shy, but I also imagined a scene from a comic film, or a cartoon, etc., nothing more, nothing less, but the scene made me laugh :p
But of course it's doable !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back