• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portland Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
I'm going to Portland Bird Observatory at the end of September from 25th-28th inclusive. Having never stayed at a bird observatory before, what can I expect? Has anyone on here been there before?

Cheers
VB

The accommodation is basic but comfortable, with shared facilities. There's a constant ringing effort there, so Martin Cade and various assistants are likely to be around the obs most of the day, basically drinking coffee and chatting! Birders staying at the obs, like you, tend to wander off for the morning, usually starting with a seawatch from the Obelisk, then doing Top Fields/8 Kings/Culverwell, and back to the obs for lunch. The rest of the day depends on what's around!

Sure you'll have a good time, and some good birds. Are you after anything in particular?

As you are not staying over a weekend I very much doubt that you will have to share a room if you are by yourself unless the Observatory is very busy.
There is a Co-op at Easton on Portland where you can buy all your food and there is a large fridge to store your milk etc and a large cupboard for your other food items. A microwave and a cooker are in the kitchen for use by the residents.
Whilst seawatching from the Obelisk is very popular many regulars, including the Warden, watch from the Obersvatory patio.
The Observatory also seems to act as a "clearing house" for information so if something turns up in Dorset you get to hear about it long before it ever gets on the Pager. As long as you don't get blue sky and sun you should have a great few days. Roger

Nah, didn't go in the end, sadly. I've been ill all week and besides I'm broke after having to get a new car and paying for my trip to Ecuador next year. :-C

Hello,
I'm going with friends to see birds in Portland, from the 27th of april to 1st of May. I need some information of the best places to see birds in Portland and near Portland, because i haven't found so much information about the place. We are coming from Spain for only 4 days and we'll not have so much time to go looking for the best sites... Can you recommend me the best places? Thank you!!

Hi, it's me again,
The species we would love to see are:
Fulmar, bittern, corncrake, purple sandpiper, skuas, Roseate tern, actic tern, guillemot, razorbill, puffin , Short-eared Owl, lesser whitethroat. bearded tit, rook, and other interesting birds. Could you help me? Thanks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back