• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nottinghamshire Birding (1 Viewer)

davebenj

To old, Too tall, Too fat, Too bald.
Last edited:
The westwood area and erewash meadows NR are excellent for Little Owl, Grey Partridge, Tree Sparrow, Willow Tit etc. Its very much on the derby border but in all my visits up there i always found these species easily, the Little owls in multiples - up to 12 in one evening during a concentrated search (but that included a family party of pair+4young). The Erewash meadows have also produced single nightjar, barn owl and little egret for me in the past 2 years, as well as excellent views of several singing grasshopper warbles in april and may. And there was the Great Grey Shrike in the Brinsley area of the reserve which i was fortunate to see well on its last evening in April 2006:) Id recomend the area anyway........

ukbenny said:
I think you just started one |=)|

I tried a few searches within this section but didn't find any others.

I was thinking of starting another for my local patch - Bestwood Country Park.

There's already something in:
BirdForum > Information Wanted > County By County Index > Midlands > Nottinghamshire

But the Bestwood Country Park thread is locked for replies.
If you are puttin info for the Bestwood area of Nottingham,ie Bestwood Country Park,great for Woodpeckers and Jays,don't forget the area which is situated in Bestwood village.I lived in Nottingham for 30yrs,and for the last 20yrs we lived at Top Valley.I only found the park in Bestwood village 2yrs before we re located to Cumbria.I saw my first KF ,in the lake,also Herons,and lots of other birds.A delightful place.

Bentink Opencast

Does anyone know the Bentink Opencast site is any good?

I've seen a couple of reports metioning it recently (there was a reported Richards Pipit there yesterday). How do you get to it and which are the best parts? I've had a look on Live.Local.com and it looks a pretty big site.

It is only a few miles away from me, certainly within cycling distance (my only mode of transport), but wonder if it might be a wasted trip.

Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Bestwood Country Park

In a bid to liven things up a bit...

Last Saturday morning I took a walk to the Mill Lakes via the lane around the edge of the Pit Top. Most of the usual suspects were about, but a few new birds on this patch for me (been watching it for two months now).

Birds seen (37):
Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Greater Canada Goose, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Kestrel, Peregrine, Moorhen, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Woodpigeon, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Redwing, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting

Birds I should have seen (5):
Kingfisher, Collared Dove, Green Woodpecker, Dunnock, Greenfinch

Notable for me were:
  • Wigeon: Saw one, but it was the first I've seen here.
  • Cormorant: One in flight heading SE and 1 perched on a post by Tern Island. I don't think they're all that scarce here, but it was the first time I've seen them here. I'm pretty sure they're a regular winter visitor.
  • Reed Bunting: A pair by the Water Meadow gate. It's the first time I've seen them in Notts.
  • Bullfinch: Also a pair by the Water Meadow gate. It's the first time I've seen a female in Notts.
  • Peregrine: Star of the day. It was around for the best part of 5 minutes, swooping about over a farmer's field and trying to avoid being mobbed by a BHG. As far as I know it's the first record of Peregrine at this particular site.

Last edited:
Went to have a look at the two female Goosander on the lake at my work today (Nottingham Uni, Jubilee Campus). They've both been there since Sunday and very close views are possible. Surprised they've hung around as it's quite busy now the students are back.

Ben,when you next take a walk around Bestwood country park listen for the Woodies,and see if you can spot the Jays.

Hi there,

Like to keep an eye on this thread as I lived in Nottingham for 10 years during and after University, although I wasn't birding then which I now think was an opportunity lost.

Could anybody tell me the best place and time to go to Wollaton Hall for Hawfinches?

Cheers,

Stew

christineredgate said:
Ben,when you next take a walk around Bestwood country park listen for the Woodies, and see if you can spot the Jays.
Hi Christine, I often see the Jays in the main woodland, but not so much at the Mill Lakes. I see Green and Great Spotted Woodies all the time, but haven't put bins to the Lessers yet. I'm going out there again tomorrow (weather permitting) to look for Lesser around the lodge area, where I hear they're most commonly seen.

Latest find at the Mill Lakes is a group of 6+ Snipe close to where the Leen enters the lake. The Kingfisher has stayed around for winter |=)|

stew the smew said:
Hi there,

Like to keep an eye on this thread as I lived in Nottingham for 10 years during and after University, although I wasn't birding then which I now think was an opportunity lost.

Could anybody tell me the best place and time to go to Wollaton Hall for Hawfinches?

Cheers,

Stew
Hi Stew,

Snap! I've been here since '97 for uni and only just started birding in Notts!
I'm not sure that Hawfinch are recorded at Wollaton. I know it's well watched, but there are no sightings reported since records started on Notts Birdwatchers website (2000).

The best two sites in Notts for Hawfinch are Clumber CP (around the chapel) and Rufford CP (around the car park). The best times are Jan and Feb.

Ben M said:
I see Green and Great Spotted Woodies all the time, but haven't put bins to the Lessers yet. I'm going out there again tomorrow (weather permitting) to look for Lesser around the lodge area, where I hear they're most commonly seen.
I need to tempt fate more often!

Just 10 minutes into my walk, a little black and white bird flies out in front of me... I wasn't even half way to the lodge! Watched and filmed (out of focus!) the little fellow for about 10 minutes before it started drumming.

A few Great Woodies and Nuthatch about. Watched two Treecreeper chasing each other in flight round and round a tree trunk. Also saw a Long-tailed Tit without a tail!

A good morning |=)|

Attachments

• 2007-01-12 - 09-30 - SK566470 - Lesser_Spotted_Woodpecker.jpg
    2007-01-12 - 09-30 - SK566470 - Lesser_Spotted_Woodpecker.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 265
Waxwing

A single Waxwing has been seen a few times over the past week feeding on the berries in the trees around the Top Valley Tesco in Nottingham's suburbs. It's only five minutes from where we live so I popped along today as we needed a few bits of shopping anyway.

I was a little surprised to see a couple of birders around when we got there, mainly since it was a Saturday afternoon and the shop was busy. No sign of the bird when I arrived, so I had a quick walk about and having seen nothing except a Song Thrush, I walked back to the car park. One of the other birders was signalling to me that it was back, so I went over for a look.

Apparently it had flown in with a flock of Starlings and was conveniently perched at the top of a tree for all to see. It didn't seem to mind all the shoppers around, so we were able to get close for some good views.

When I left the store it had moved on to the patch of trees where I'd seen the Song Thrush (opposite the golf course) and a group of birders from Yorkshire had their scopes on it. Please post if you went to see it too.

Here are a couple of low-quality pics taken from my video camera through my bins!

Attachments

• 2007-02-17 - 13-35 - SK551453 - Waxwing - 1.jpg
    2007-02-17 - 13-35 - SK551453 - Waxwing - 1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 2007-02-17 - 13-35 - SK551453 - Waxwing - 2.jpg
    2007-02-17 - 13-35 - SK551453 - Waxwing - 2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 189
  • 2007-02-17 - 13-35 - SK551453 - Waxwing - 3.jpg
    2007-02-17 - 13-35 - SK551453 - Waxwing - 3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 170
...last recorded sighting was Monday. This afternoon one turns up outside my bedroom window (just a mile away).

Attachments

• 2007-02-25 - 15-41 - Garden - Waxwing.jpg
    2007-02-25 - 15-41 - Garden - Waxwing.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 213
Welbeck Lakes

We made a trip to the "watchpoint" for the buzzards on Friday afternoon. Parked at the side of the road next to the "feeders" - the various pots and trays that people have nailed to the fence.

Over a period of about an hour and a half we saw a total four buzzards - too far away for my inexperienced eyes to tell if they were anything other than common. A Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in a tree about 10 yards away from the car was a nice bonus. Also the very (around 3 feet away!) close views of Treecreepers, Nuthatches, Long Tailed Tits and Coal Tits.

List for the day:

Buzzard
Chaffinch
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Black Headed Gull
Great Crested Grebe
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Carrion Crow
Lesser Spotted Woodepecker
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Mute Swan
Coot

davebenj said:
Also the very (around 3 feet away!) close views of Treecreepers, Nuthatches, Long Tailed Tits and Coal Tits.
My dad really rates this spot... the Nuthatches might as well be in your car, you can get that close (apparently). I've only driven past myself, not had chance to stop yet. Close views of LSW can't be bad |=)| Feb is meant to be good for Goshawk here.

Ben M said:
My dad really rates this spot... the Nuthatches might as well be in your car, you can get that close (apparently). I've only driven past myself, not had chance to stop yet. Close views of LSW can't be bad |=)| Feb is meant to be good for Goshawk here.

We had to drive up and down the road two or three times before the fishermen packed up and bu99ered off.

Its about 4 miles from where I live, so I'd expect we'll be there quite a bit over the next few weeks. Especially on Fridays. Look out for a pale blue Honda Accord with a 51 registration. ;)

Bestwood Country Park

My only birding trip of February proved worthwhile, despite the rain. Set out at dawn to see my first patch Skylark of the year singing high above the Pit Top. A male and female Kestrel showed well hunting at the bottom of the Pit Top.

A single Ruddy Duck at the Mill Lakes added another year tick, and it appeared to be the same bird I saw last year... still "attached" to a female Pochard. A large finch flock (c.60) was mainly Goldfinch, with some Lesser Redpoll, Chaffinch and a single Bullfinch. Single Great Crested Grebe and Little Grebe were more difficult to locate than usual. The island at the north end of the lake was almost submerged, so I was a little surprised to see at least four Snipe still there.

Headed up to the Water Meadow to see a single Willow Tit on the almost-empty feeder and five Jay were screeching together in a nearby tree. After standing still, watching the feeders for a few minutes a Long-tailed Tit landed in a hedge just two feet away from my face - great views! A Great Spotted Woodpecker came to the feeder for some peanuts (as did the squirrels).

The disused railway line got me a patch tick in the form of two Grey Partridge, and the golf course on the other side had three Meadow Pipit. From the bridge on my way back, I got my first Kingfisher of the year as it darted downstream and then out over the field to get to the lake (to avoid passing underneath me!?).

Took an alternative route home to try and get some easy woodland birds for the trip list, seeing another Skylark singing above a farmer's field. Then the heavy rain began, thus ensuring I saw nothing new before reaching home. Still managed to break my species record by one (it's now 44).

Welbeck Watchpoint : 02-03-07

Usual culprits:

Buzzard x6 (may have been more, but we can only be certain of 6)
Goosander x2
Chaffinch
Cormorant
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Black Headed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Crested Grebe (several pairs displaying)
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Carrion Crow
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Mute Swan
Coot
Moorhen
Pheasant

There are 2 or 3 unusual pheasants around this area.
They are the same size and shape as a common pheasant but they are the same colour (iridescent green) all over as a common phesants head.
Any suggestions?
Simply mutants or some species that I've never heard of?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back