• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Removing eyecups on Ultravids? (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the eyecups on Ultravid 10x42? I have a pair with sand and dirt inside, and i would like to clean them properly.
Thanks.

Luca said:
Can anyone please tell me how to remove the eyecups on Ultravid 10x42? I have a pair with sand and dirt inside, and i would like to clean them properly.
Thanks.
Twist them up to full height then just pull off.

POP

matt green said:
As above,but mind you don't inadvertainly remove the rubber from the cup itself,not sure they're glued on?

Matt

Thank you. The rubber looks glued on mine.
I have a question: is there anything likely to break? Just twist all the way out and then pull straight out? Any likely surprises?

Luca said:
Thank you. The rubber looks glued on mine.
I have a question: is there anything likely to break? Just twist all the way out and then pull straight out? Any likely surprises?
Just do as I said there is nothing to break.

POP

POP said:
Twist them up to full height then just pull off.
POP

I think it would be better to explain that they should be twisted to full height, there will be a click stop to twist past (the stop that locks them in the fully up position), then a SECOND click stop to twist past, THEN pull them straight up and out.
--AP

Luca said:
Thanks.
As everyone has said, it's not too difficult to remove the Ultravid eyecups. I was also apprehensive the first time around, but the design turned out to be very user-friendly. There’s a lot of room around the eyepiece barrel and the only cautionary note I would offer is to be careful not to mar the lenses while cleaning. With the eyecup removed the eyepiece is fully exposed.

John

PS
When I remove the eyecups, I generally clean them with Armorall and let them dry. It really keeps the rubber smooth and flexible.

When I remove the eyecups, I generally clean them with Armorall and let them dry. It really keeps the rubber smooth and flexible.

I did much the same thing with the rubber eyecups on my LXs. Works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back