• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungus to ID please (1 Viewer)

hal2

I would appreciate help in Iding this fungus, which was in Monkwood in Worcestershire this afternoon. I had time for one photo before the battery went but could return take more tomorrow.

The twig was shaded by trees (mostly oak) long grass & bramble.

The black +white ????, whatever they are , are up to approx half an inch high.

please have a look at the top picture at

http://hmail2.blogspot.com/

(must figure out how to attatch thumbnails !)

Much thanks,

hal :scribe:

Leif said:
BTW what is that yellow flowered plant on your web site? I saw one locally.

Hi Leif,

... um, I'm afraid I don't know. I've been told it is Hairy Mallow, butI don't think that's correct - all Malvacaea seem to have pinkish flowers.
There was just the one plant, at least 6' tall growing in a bare area of the New Forest last summer. I shall keep looking.

Thanks for IDing the fungus, it hasn't grown the 'antlers' yet though.

hal

hal2 said:
Hi Leif,

... um, I'm afraid I don't know. I've been told it is Hairy Mallow, butI don't think that's correct - all Malvacaea seem to have pinkish flowers.
There was just the one plant, at least 6' tall growing in a bare area of the New Forest last summer. I shall keep looking.

Thanks for IDing the fungus, it hasn't grown the 'antlers' yet though.

hal

The tall yellow-flowed plant is Common Mullein (Verbascum thapsus).

Candle-snuff Fungus is very variable, so won't necessarily develop any 'antlers'. That is a very nice photograph you have of it - I am jealous!

As Leif says, there other species that are similar, but smaller and on specific substrates. The one on beech mast is really quite common, but very inconspicuous.

Then there is Dead-man's Fingers, Xylaria polymorpha, that really does look like a cluster of stubby black fingers, and is quite common on the sides of old logs.

Alan

Silver said:
The tall yellow-flowed plant is Common Mullein (Verbascum thapsus).

Thanks, Alan, 2 IDs from 1 enquiry !!!

I'll keep am eye on the Xylaria, & post more photos if it continue to grow.

One good thing about both plants & fungus - they doesn't fly away when you try to take it's photograph.

thanks again,

hal

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back