• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 (3 Viewers)

Oh why not?

As I have written several other places I see the field pro connectors as a rather cool solution, to a problem many here dont recognize.. I get some are not so mechanically inclined and see the initial install as a bit overwhelming. As well I get some folks set up there binos one way, then theyre done. And some, just like things the way they are, the way they have been, change is hard.

It's OK.

Others like a bit of change. Innovation is good. Some see form following function. Beauty is as beauty does. Once past the initial learning curve any subsequent removal and reinstall of the carry strap with field pro connectors on board is easy and easier than conventional systems.. There's a place for that. How about a binocular one takes out birding, but also resides on a shelf or desk while at home and the strap affixed the old way becomes a liability as one can inadvertently snag it and knock the binos to the floor? With fleld pro its easy to disconnect and reconnect the strap depending. The real benefit, is for those of us, who might, do to season, weather, activity, want to change the carry system on a given binocular. With a couple xtra Field pro connectors, easily obtained from Swarovski, one can have say, the original carry strap, a Rick Young harness, or one of the chest carry pouches ready to go and quick to switch out.

I do.

I get its to each his own. My hope here is to point out to those with other needs, that the way we tend to portray field pro here at Bird forum is not the only way...

And after using 42 different binos over a period of 51 years all equipped with just the standard neck strap, I don't feel the need for the Field Pro System either.

Lee
Well perhaps if you'd used only one or two over that period and wanted maximum flexibility of that/those and therefore had different carry systems to accomplish that, you would have a different take?

Merry Christmas

T

I use a bino harness and never a strap so the field pro system is useless to me.

I use harnesses too. The Field Pro System comes with a normal strap lug as an alternative connector. I put that one on the first day and have had no problem using third party harnesses or straps with it. In fact, I like the way the lug can be rotated to easily straighten out twisted connecting straps.

Last edited:
I use harnesses too. The Field Pro System comes with a normal strap lug as an alternative connector. I put that one on the first day and have had no problem using third party harnesses or straps with it. In fact, I like the way the lug can be rotated to easily straighten out twisted connecting straps.
Yes, I've watched in store the guy attaching the standard strap lug and I'd have to use that if I ever decide to buy Swarovski again.
I never have any twisting problems with my harness. I have a Bino-Pac harness (hard to find nowadays) and I use the RY Ultralite connectors to attach to the binocular, so it's like a hybrid system I fashioned.

Well perhaps if you'd used only one or two over that period and wanted maximum flexibility of that/those and therefore had different carry systems to accomplish that, you would have a different take?
A strap is set and forget for me; the only "different carry system" is a case. And for people who need "flexibility" there are more interchangeable solutions like quick-release buckles or Peak Design anchors.

I on the other hand find that it adds to the number of twists to sort out more than it helps. It’s not that big of a deal but it does seem very unnecessary to me. And I have seen the attachment points rip out of the bins so it gets a bit of a mark down for that. Just a bit overengineered and overly complex with no benefit to me.

Merry Christmas

T
Merry Christmas Tommy.

Lee

A strap is set and forget for me; the only "different carry system" is a case. And for people who need "flexibility" there are more interchangeable solutions like quick-release buckles or Peak Design anchors.
"More" as in more choices, or "more interchangeable" as some of those are even more flexible?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back