• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone discount Sarwo (1 Viewer)

Tracker12

Anyone discount Swaro

I am still trying to decide what to buy. But the 8x32 El is the pair that I would like to have. is there anyone in the US that discounts them. PM me if anyone has any ideas.

At $1499, they are pretty inexpensive for what you get. Sorry, i had to bite on that one. No, there are no discounts on first class binoculars. But i can sell you 400 pounds of Tasco 10x25's if you want, for $400.

Curtis Croulet said:
The usual prices at on-line sites are discounted from list price.

Yea everyone sales them for $1499.00. I am sure the factory has something to do with that. I thinbk they have een tuffing it up lately. therer was a guy that I dealt with that was great. He no longer carries Swaro.

Tracker12 said:
Yea everyone sales them for $1499.00. I am sure the factory has something to do with that. I thinbk they have een tuffing it up lately. therer was a guy that I dealt with that was great. He no longer carries Swaro.

The North American importer possibly requires authorized dealers to maintain certain minimum prices, else they lose their franchise. In any case, the dealer's margin may not encourage lower retail prices. If obtaining a Swarovski at lowest possible price is important to you, regardless of any other consideration, you might look for a gray-market source.

I recently bought my 8.5x42 EL on Ebay for $1400. They are absolutely perfect. Of course, I had to forego warranty coverage, but I'm very careful with my optics so I'll gladly pocket the $370 savings. Curtis is correct about Swarovski carefully controlling the prices that authorized dealers must charge. The 42mm EL's are bulkier than the 32's, but the larger exit pupil and noticeably greater magnification more than makes up for it. I've spent countless hours using every currently available premium binocular - for me - these come closest to perfection.

I think I will stay away from the grey market. You just do not know when you are going to need warranty work. I recently sent a pair of Leitz 10x25 back for repair. I bought them at the Army PX in Korea and thought I was going to have to pay for th repair. Leica gave me a little bit of a hard time till I explained that I bought them at the PX. They then agreed to cover the repair.

I'm a huge fan of Leica glass, but Swarovski has them beat hands down when it comes to customer service. My guess is, if you ever had a problem with a Swarovski product, they'd never question you, no matter where it was purchased.

I've heard several accounts where Leica charged several hundred dollars for repairs on secondhand products, but have never heard of anyone being charged by Swarovski. Anyone have a different experience?....

Tracker,

I am not sure where you are in the Northeast but if you have a Cabelas nearby then I suggest making the trip. They have a "bargain cave" in each retail store where discontinued, repaired/refurbished and returned items are put back up for resale. I was just at the store in Hamburg, PA a week or two back and they had a pair of the 8.5x42 ELs listed for a little over $1000. I checked them out thoroughly and could find nothing wrong them. However, I am fully extended on funding at the moment so was unable to buy them for myself. You might want to check out this type of opportunity if one is reasonably close to you.

No warranty though. [;)]

Sure wish the Cabelas in Utah had some deals like that in their "bargain cave". Most of the stuff is about 90% of full retail.

They do not always. However, you would be surprised at what you find there if you know what to look for...but then I do not have to tell you that. ;)

I am actually trying to limit myself from going there as I always feel too tempted by discounted optics. :)

I have had the same experience as Buster. I go to te Cabelas in WVA and never seen anything I was interested in the bargin cave. Actually see boots that I would send to the goodwill that they wanted close to retail.

The WV Cabelas isn't really that far, in the big scheme of things, from the Hamburg Cabelas...4 hours maybe? Make the trip up. I am probably going to head back some time over the holiday weekend. I just have to convince myself to stay away from that part of the store. ;)

FrankD said:
The WV Cabelas isn't really that far, in the big scheme of things, from the Hamburg Cabelas...4 hours maybe? Make the trip up. I am probably going to head back some time over the holiday weekend. I just have to convince myself to stay away from that part of the store. ;)

Have not been to the Hamburg store. Not that far from the DC area where I live. I just usualy go tothe WV store on my way up to visit family in PGH.

Have not been to the Hamburg store. Not that far from the DC area where I live. I just usualy go tothe WV store on my way up to visit family in PGH

2.5 hours...tops. We made the trip down to inner harbor two summers ago and that was about how long it took. I live 20 minutes from the store. The next time I head out..probably in the next week, maybe Black Friday, I will do some "scouting" and see what they have to offer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back