• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of Fungi to ID (1 Viewer)

rmielcarek

Stuck on both of these and would appreciate some help.

The small one, on the right below, was photographed in a meadow by a lake. The other one in mixed woodland.

Thanx

Richard

Attachments

• DSCN4906.JPG
    DSCN4906.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN5042.JPG
    DSCN5042.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN5043.JPG
    DSCN5043.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
rmielcarek said:

The small one, on the right below, was photographed in a meadow by a lake. The other one in mixed woodland.

Thanx

Richard

Hi Richard, no expert but the mixed woodland one looks like Tricholomopsis platyphylla in my Phillips book.

cheers, Martin

dippers said:
Hi Richard, no expert but the mixed woodland one looks like Tricholomopsis platyphylla in my Phillips book.

cheers, Martin

Hi Richard,

The right-hand fungus is a Mycena, a large genus, and without information on microscopic characters it is usually unsafe to suggest identifications. However, this looks exactly like Mycena galopus, a variable but common species in a variety of situations. The diagnostic field character would be a white 'latex' oozing from any break in the stem and, if we look at the stem base in the photograph, we can see this latex. Mycena galopus it is.

The left-hand fungus is more troublesome, but I think Martin is right. It does look like Megacollybia (Tricholomopsis) platyphylla.

The gills should not be turning brown, but if this is some kind of ageing or drying effect and the spores are white, then this is a reasonable identification. The gills are relatively distant and look to have the right texture for this species.
The alternative would be an Inocybe, another large and very difficult genus, characterised by "snuff brown" spores, and. like Megacollybia, possessed of a cap surface with radiating fibrils. However, the cap is smoother than most species in the genus and the stem lacks characters I would expect. I did first think of an Inocybe, but the more I examine the photographs, the more convinced I am that this is indeed M. platyphylla.

Alan

rmielcarek said:

Thanx

Richard

Like Alan, I suspect that Martin has done very well to suggest T. platyphylla. I would not have thought of that, but now that he mentions it, I can see many similarities.

However, I am curious how large the fungus was? If it was about 6-10cm across, then yes it could well be T. platyphylla. One key feature would be long tendril like 'roots' extending from the base of the fungus.

If it is small, maybe 3-4cm, then I would also wonder about an Inocybe. I. maculata is similar, though the stem tends to have a chestnut tint, and the cap has whitish patches hence the name, maculata which I believe means 'spotted'. There are similar looking Inocybe species that I am not familiar with.

It seems odd to be wondering if something is T. platyphylla or an Inocybe, but that is the problem with working from photos.

Leif said:
Like Alan, I suspect that Martin has done very well to suggest T. platyphylla. I would not have thought of that, but now that he mentions it, I can see many similarities.

However, I am curious how large the fungus was? If it was about 6-10cm across, then yes it could well be T. platyphylla. One key feature would be long tendril like 'roots' extending from the base of the fungus.

If it is small, maybe 3-4cm, then I would also wonder about an Inocybe. I. maculata is similar, though the stem tends to have a chestnut tint, and the cap has whitish patches hence the name, maculata which I believe means 'spotted'. There are similar looking Inocybe species that I am not familiar with.

It seems odd to be wondering if something is T. platyphylla or an Inocybe, but that is the problem with working from photos.

Thanks Leif, Alan and Martin for your help on these.

Yes the cap was 6 or 7 cms across.

Still plenty of fungi around down here in the south west, some freshly up over the weekend.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back