• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anyone bird Ashdown Forest(Sussex)? (1 Viewer)

joannec

Europe
I live not very far from Ashdown Forest in Sussex. I know there are lots of good birds there but wondered where the best places are. It's a pretty big place and habitat varies. If anyone could say where they go and what they see it would be helpful. Thanks.

joannechattaway said:
I live not very far from Ashdown Forest in Sussex. I know there are lots of good birds there but wondered where the best places are. It's a pretty big place and habitat varies. If anyone could say where they go and what they see it would be helpful. Thanks.

I shall be interested as well Joanne. I used to go camping when the boys were small at Crowborough, and we used to spend a lot of time at Ashdown Forest, but it was before I got bitten by the birding bug. I have planned to go back there are see what I missed.
There are some good heath areas to the south of the Forest which I have had in mind.

joannechattaway said:

LoL Joanne, I suggested Ashdown Forest as a destination for our January Meet and you said no, it was too far!! :'D Anyway, as you know, I'll be going there tomorrow, so i'll let you know what we see. Check out the Hawfinches Again thread as there is a link there to Simon who runs a guided walk project around the area - Ive spoken to him and he knows the area very well - I'm sure John H will be able to help you as well.

joannechattaway said:

Hi Joanne,

There was a Great Grey Shrike at Gills Lap last Winter which arrived in October & hung around until March/April. The Shrike is an almost annual visitor so fingers crossed will be back again soon. Old Lodge is also worth checking out for Crossbill,Brambling, Lesser Redpoll,Siskin & perhaps even Hawfinch over the Winter. Summer visitors at Old Lodge include Nightjar, Tree Pipit,Redstart in addition to breeders like Woodcock & Dartford Warbler. Hen Harrier is probable on any of the heathland areas in the Winter also. Grid refs & maps for these sites can be found on the SOS web site - http://www.sos.org.uk/locations/A.htm

Hope this helps,

ATB,

John.

joannechattaway said:
Deborah, you said the New Forest!!! Ashdown Forest is almost on my doorstep!!!

I dont recall the Ashdown Forest being mentioned. The New Forest was considered, but dismissed because it's not very near Sussex!!

LOL!!!!!! I'm on another planet - really sorry Joanne, have sent you a PM - and thanks for helping me out with another geographical gaff earlier - oh and also the Adur thing :gh: :gh: :gh: :gh: I get these mental blocks you see ........ :bounce:

(good job you corrected me or I would have ended up on the wrong train in the morning!)

Have a great day at Rainham tomorrow Paul - er, it was Rainham wasn't it?

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
LOL!!!!!! I'm on another planet - really sorry Joanne, have sent you a PM - and thanks for helping me out with another geographical gaff earlier - oh and also the Adur thing :gh: :gh: :gh: :gh: I get these mental blocks you see ........ :bounce:

(good job you corrected me or I would have ended up on the wrong train in the morning!)

Have a great day at Rainham tomorrow Paul - er, it was Rainham wasn't it?

Yes Deborah, looking forward to it. Just hope the weather is kind, have a good time in the New Forest, or was it Ashdown Forest? :-O :-O :-O

JohnnyH said:
Hi Joanne,

There was a Great Grey Shrike at Gills Lap last Winter which arrived in October & hung around until March/April. The Shrike is an almost annual visitor so fingers crossed will be back again soon. Old Lodge is also worth checking out for Crossbill,Brambling, Lesser Redpoll,Siskin & perhaps even Hawfinch over the Winter. Summer visitors at Old Lodge include Nightjar, Tree Pipit,Redstart in addition to breeders like Woodcock & Dartford Warbler. Hen Harrier is probable on any of the heathland areas in the Winter also. Grid refs & maps for these sites can be found on the SOS web site - http://www.sos.org.uk/locations/A.htm

Hope this helps,

ATB,
Bohn.

Thanks John.

I know where Gills Lap is and think I'll go up next week sometime if the weather looks ok and I'm free. Will have to check out where Old Lodge is, not too sure. And thanks for the link. I'll let you know how I get on. Will you be joining us again in January at Pulborough Brooks? Looks like there will be some new faces.

Joanne

paulwfromtheden said:
I shall be interested as well Joanne. I used to go camping when the boys were small at Crowborough, and we used to spend a lot of time at Ashdown Forest, but it was before I got bitten by the birding bug. I have planned to go back there are see what I missed.
There are some good heath areas to the south of the Forest which I have had in mind.

Hi Paul
We used to go up there alot with our children when they were small too but like you I wasn't a birder then. I used to know the forest quite well but now just seem to drive through.

Joanne

joannechattaway said:
Thanks John.

I know where Gills Lap is and think I'll go up next week sometime if the weather looks ok and I'm free. Will have to check out where Old Lodge is, not too sure. And thanks for the link. I'll let you know how I get on. Will you be joining us again in January at Pulborough Brooks? Looks like there will be some new faces.

Joanne

You're welcome Joanne, good luck with that. No I won't be at your meet at Pulborough I'm afraid, it's FA cup 3rd round weekend & I'm hoping Aldershot get through & draw one of the Premiership big guns. I hope you guys have a good time, Pulborough is very good in the Winter, I would also recommend Waltham Brooks for a late afternoon raptor watch, excellent chance of Barn Owl & Hen Harrier. Hopefully I'll catch up with you guys at another bash.

Best Regards,

John.

Well, I spent a very blustery afternoon yesterday on Ashdown Forest. First I went to Gills Lap but after an hour and a half I had only seen a kestral, 6 crows, one lonely stonechat and a brief glimpse of what could have been a harrier but it was so brief as to not count for anything. It was horribly windy and I was getting cold so decided to move onto the ridge towards Wych Cross where there is more tree cover and hopefully would be less windy and there would be more bird activity. The wind was less but only saw a few goldcrests, long tailed tits and a small flock of about 20 fieldfare towards the north, pleased with them as they are the first I'd seen this autumn. I'll be going back but will choose a day when it's not so windy.

Ashdown Forest - Woodcock and Woodlark

o:DBeing nice and green by recycling an old threado:D

Can anybody give some advice on the best places to visit if we want to stand a good chance of seeing Woodcock and Woodlark?

Cheers
Frank

Woodlark, as well as Redstart, can be reliably and easily found at Old Lodge, the Sussex Wildlife Trust reserve
http://www.sussexwt.org.uk/reserves/page00023.htm
The reserve is found about 1/2 mile south of Gill's Lap which is good at dusk for Nightjar and roding Woodcock. At Gill's lap just be sure to get down into the dip some way so that most of the rising land around you is silhouetted against the sky - this way anything flying in the failing light is easy to pick up against the sky (rather than a dark shape against the dark hill sides).
Pick a still, clear evening (soon) and you should have no problems. Oh, and take some mozzie repellent ;)
Enjoy!!
Dave C

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back