• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope ID please? (1 Viewer)

Timedrifter

Can someone ID the model of this Nikon scope please? It is a 60mm interchangeable eyepiece model, with heavy black rubber armouring and an attached objective cover (cut off on this one). Images taken through it show horrendous purple fringing so it's clearly not one of their top models. Any help or details appreciated.
Cheers Timedrifter

Attachments

• nikon scope.JPG
    nikon scope.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 145
Timedrifter said:
Can someone ID the model of this Nikon scope please? It is a 60mm interchangeable eyepiece model, with heavy black rubber armouring and an attached objective cover (cut off on this one). Images taken through it show horrendous purple fringing so it's clearly not one of their top models. Any help or details appreciated.
Cheers Timedrifter

Hello Timedrifter,

the Scope you have is the original Nikon Spotting Scope RA,i believe that the two eyepieces available when this model was first available was a 20x and a zoom,i understand that the eyepieces for the later Nikon Spotting Scope RAII also fit your Scope so you could also use the current 25x e/p.Having read some old reviews of this Scope it seems that it was one if the best models available in its price bracket so it should perform well although it is a fair bit heavier than most other 60mm models,i hope this is helpful,

David C

Hi David!
I'd almost given up hope of an answer on this; very many thanks! I have to say that I half suspected it might be an early RA, but couldn't find any references. If you could point me towards ANY info on this scope I'd appreciate it
Regards
Timedrifter

David C said:
Hello Timedrifter,

the Scope you have is the original Nikon Spotting Scope RA,i believe that the two eyepieces available when this model was first available was a 20x and a zoom,i understand that the eyepieces for the later Nikon Spotting Scope RAII also fit your Scope so you could also use the current 25x e/p.Having read some old reviews of this Scope it seems that it was one if the best models available in its price bracket so it should perform well although it is a fair bit heavier than most other 60mm models,i hope this is helpful,

David C

David C said:
Hello Timedrifter,

David C
ditto, i had one, i did not like the zoom. and the 20x was ok . then a w/a came out i think it was 22x w or 25x w, that was better. the scope is better than people think . i to would look around for eyepieces to uprate.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back