• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is some parts of the Fens lifeless, my answer is yes (1 Viewer)

itstooflathere

how can i put this without offending people who like living here, here goes this is my personal view, trees are being cut down so fast there soon wont be any left, common birds are not that common any more, i live in Wisbech cambs were the rivers are dead straight the grass is cut to the nearest inch, there are no trees along any of the rivers, what we call a forest here is about 6 trees, most parts you can sit and see for miles with just odd trees here and there, i have never in my life seen a place so dull like this, the trees you see are in peoples gardens, most trees have been cut down by farmers many being the worst offenders, hedgerows are virtually non exsistent the once beautifull site of apple blossom is now rare. So far this year only one song thush has appeared in my garden the only place to see birds in abundance is in man made area's, i wish i could move as far away from here as possible to see natural beauty and habitats left alone so our native birds dont leave us alltogether. the day mother nature takes back the Fens will make my day, regards carl & jane

The Fens ain't all bad! The Great Fen cometh!

itstooflathere said:
how can i put this without offending people who like living here, here goes this is my personal view, trees are being cut down so fast there soon wont be any left, common birds are not that common any more, i live in Wisbech cambs were the rivers are dead straight the grass is cut to the nearest inch, there are no trees along any of the rivers, what we call a forest here is about 6 trees, most parts you can sit and see for miles with just odd trees here and there, i have never in my life seen a place so dull like this, the trees you see are in peoples gardens, most trees have been cut down by farmers many being the worst offenders, hedgerows are virtually non exsistent the once beautifull site of apple blossom is now rare. So far this year only one song thush has appeared in my garden the only place to see birds in abundance is in man made area's, i wish i could move as far away from here as possible to see natural beauty and habitats left alone so our native birds dont leave us alltogether. the day mother nature takes back the Fens will make my day, regards carl & jane

Try this site for some good news about the Fens:

http://www.greatfen.org.uk/

Last edited:
It may well be true and hopefully the Great Fen project will help to make things more interesting in that area.

There is a flip side to it in that with an ever increasing UK population,
1900 38 million
2005 60 million

we have to have some place to grow food and the industrialisation of the very fertile fen lands has helped to provide food for the country and reduce the pressure on other parts of the countryside. So living on the opposite side of the country in the not so fertile parts I'm sort of selfishly OK with it. Until we address the population issue I'm afraid some parts of the country will suffer more than most. Perhaps falling birth rates will start to kick in soon.
Lets hope for your sake and everyone else's the Great fen project works out.

DavidP said:
It may well be true and hopefully the Great Fen project will help to make things more interesting in that area.

There is a flip side to it in that with an ever increasing UK population,
1900 38 million
2005 60 million

we have to have some place to grow food and the industrialisation of the very fertile fen lands has helped to provide food for the country and reduce the pressure on other parts of the countryside. So living on the opposite side of the country in the not so fertile parts I'm sort of selfishly OK with it. Until we address the population issue I'm afraid some parts of the country will suffer more than most. Perhaps falling birth rates will start to kick in soon.
Lets hope for your sake and everyone else's the Great fen project works out.

It has made great progress in a very short time. Land purchases have been made this month and land bought last year is already being farmed by, in some cases the original farners, but to create a variety of habitats and will eventually re-create the huge, open expanse of water known as Whittlesey Mere.

My answer is no and more land will become of greater value for wildlfe and people

itstooflathere said:

Have a look at Wicken Fen:

http://www.wicken.org.uk/

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back