• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello fellow nature lovers :) (2 Viewers)

Hello everyone and happy new year!
I am watching the sparrows which are fairly new to my garden, they seem to be picking off tiny somethings from the small maple tree, now bare of leaves. I'm thrilled, it's rare to see them in my garden - and they used to be such an "ordinary" bird. I've got starlings too, eating a home-made fat ball with seeds in it.
What I really came on here for, is that I would like to attract a wider range of birds with berries. In particular I would like to get the blackbirds back - these seem to have vanished from gardens in this part of London and now I only see them in wooded areas. I bought a Cotoneaster the other day (very small) and none of the visiting birds have touched them yet. I've read an old thread and seen that maybe they're not popular with birds, though I do know bees are attracted to the tiny flowers.
I'd welcome any berry suggestions for my small garden. Thank you!

Rowan (Mountain Ash it may be known as in your area) is very popular with Blackbird, other thrushes and Waxwings up here. My neighbour has a tree-sized Hawthorn which always attracts a variety of birds (including Waxwings). It has a Honeysuckle growing through it, and I think that is proving to be attracting some birds as well.

I used to have so many Sparrows it was difficult to count them. Numbers have dropped severely this last few years. Until they disappeared completely in August. Now they've started to return (first one about 3 weeks ago). Yesterday when I fed them in the fast falling snow, suddenly about a dozen landed!! I couldn't believe my eyes!

Unfortunately the gobbled up all the seeds and disappeared.

Hi Dover House and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

Berberis, dogwood, hawthorn, ivy, holly, honeysuckle, rose hips, blackthorn, elder, viburnum, pyracantha are all good for birds.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry, can’t help with your question.

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes and helpful replies. I will keep an eye out for small varieties of some of the bushes and trees suggested.
Here's another question: today I found one of my birdfeeders on the ground after high winds; I'm using it as an opportunity to give it a good wash, trying to reduce disease being spread. Do people on here think birdfeeders are a good idea, or should we be phasing them out??

I would say keep the feeder as long as it is full of good stuff like seeds and fat. Where are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back