• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yosemite 8x30 review (1 Viewer)

Howard220

I received mine last week from Eagle Optics. I wish I could keep them, but I cannot because it takes too much effort to bring both images together, causing me eyestrain. I don't know why this is, though I know I have a "lazy eye" and it takes effort no matter what. However, these binoculars are much more difficult to use than my old Audubon 8.5x44 804R's or my much newer Nikon 9x25 Travelite V's, or even my Oberwerk 15x70's. I thought maybe it's because of the traditional porro design, widely separating the objectives (as opposed to the reverse porro Travelites), which increases parallax, but I don't have anywhere near the difficulties with the Audubons. The Yosemites appear to be in correct alignment.

Otherwise, they are fine! They're small and lightweight, have a "just right" field of view, and are sharp and contrasty on axis. However, that sweet spot is only maybe 10% of the whole field. You don't really notice it being that small until viewing critically, such as the quarter moon. Craters are visible on axis, but quickly start to smear as you go a little off axis. My Nikons do the same, but have a slightly larger sweet spot. I can at least attribute this to noticeable chromatic aberration around bright objects.

The focuser is atrocious. As one previous poster described it as "squishy," I find it just plain sloppy. You have to turn the focusing knob back and forth quite a bit, always overrunning the spot you want to be set on. God help you if you need to refocus to even a slightly different distance in order to follow a bird.

The optics are pretty much flare-free. I viewed objects within close proximity to the setting sun, and it wasn't difficult to get a good view free of flare.

With regard to eye relief, I could just about see the entire field when wearing glasses. As to close focusing, I could get as close as 12.5 feet while wearing contacts, so there was no "nearsightedness" helping me to cheat.

So there you have it. I may have to save up for, or just have a really strong need for, premium roof binoculars. But where to find a serious display of discounted premium binoculars in Tucson -- I don't know -- other than the Rangers and Audubons sold here by Wild Birds Unlimited -- and the new Rangers, people have written, aren't as good as the old ones.

Sounds like an alignmnet problem. Ask for a new pair.

Or, possibly you do not like to use any porros, which also happens quite often.

I'll check the alignment just in case, thanks. I will place them atop a tripod head (my Bogen 3028's relatively large camera platform should work), level them left and right precisely, and then examine the images of a distant mountain. That's what I did when I had trouble with the Nikons and found THEM to be out of alignment. I also had alignment problems with the Oberwerks (a fairly common problem, I'd read), but they are user adjustable and I was able to fix them.

I tested the alignment (as described above) and found them to be "out" just a little bit, at least left-right. I don't think it's enough, though to cause the problems I'm experiencing. The sloppy focuser is reason enough that I'm returning them for a refund.

I may be a "victim" of my own high standards and may have to spend a lot more money to get what I really want, which is a high quality instrument that will last the proverbial lifetime. Dicking around with the cheaper instruments is only going to be a waste of my time and money. Occasionally there are real bargains, such as my $100 Travelite V's. But their narrow field and small objectives has had me searching for something better and more "permanent."

Howard220;877588 I may be a "victim" of my own high standards and may have to spend a lot more money to get what I really want said:
As Oscar Wilde famously put it, "I have the simplest of tastes; I'm always satisfied by the best."

Very simply stated! :) We might as well get the best in value (to us) and be done with it, rather than dinking around spending less money and going away dissatisfied.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back