• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl - N Uist (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I am planning a trip to see the Snowy owl next week any information would be appreciated on -
1) ferrys can I just turn up and get on one.
2) Details on the habits of the owl, when best to see, morning etc.

Anything else most appreciated

Thanks

Mark

No best to book, it shows all day it just roosts among the rocks off the picnic site.I saw it last week at 12:00 midday.

I did not get to see the owl despite my long trip due to a goose shoot held on the site just before my arrival. The owl has not been seen since despite lots of birders looking for it since sunday afternoon.

Just thought I would let you know in case anyone was planning a trip

Mark

Sounds bad. I hope it hasn't been shot, but I fear the worst. About the same size as a goose, tame and conspicuous, and lots of these shooting parties, the participants will just blaze away at anything and everything.

I hope the police are investigating.

Michael

I think some local birders were going to investigate further, I hope it re appears somewhere else soon or I fear for the worst.

Mark

I met a birder Monday who had seen it on Sunday Morning, the goose shoot was Sunday afternoon, he could not locate it Sunday or Monday Tues when I was there.

Mark

This has just been posted on Birdguides but not be myself

16:10 02/10/03 Snowy Owl Outer Hebrides Greinetobht, N.Uist 01:00 28/09/03
male on Sunday still on rocks east of picnic site car park but not s again by Tuesday afternoon (there has been shooting in the area)

Seeing as I have missed out on the Snowy my other owl I am after is a Long eared, does anyone know of any reliable sites near me?

Thanks

Mark

Here is a piccy of the Snowy Owl I took last month , it looks like the people in the houses behind would have one very impressive bird on the "seen from the garden list"

Attachments

• snowy-owl.gif
    snowy-owl.gif
    248.1 KB · Views: 317
The snowy owl is such a beautiful bird. My boyfriend Les and I unexpectdly came across a snowy owl while bird watching at Fort Stevens State Park in Astoria, Oregon in mid-February, 2002. It was amazing!! The snowy owl wasn't even on the birdlist that we had for that area! We watched it for about half an hour. Actually, he was watching us, too! When he flew away, he looked so majestic. Les was truly amazed as it was the first owl he had seen.
Good luck in finding the snowy owl. I hope he's still around.
Kate

Apparently he has returned and has been resident again since Thursday, just have to work out how to fund another trip up there.

Mark

MarkHows said:
Does anyone know why they don't breed in the UK?

Mark

I would hazard a guess at lack of abundant prey items in whatever suitable habitat the UK has to offer.
Also the standard of living is better in Scandinavia and Canada than in the UK and owls are no fools.

E

Yep, there's no lemmings in Britain, and lemmings comprise something like 80% of their normal prey. There also isn't really any suitable habitat, even the Cairngorm plateau is only marginally arctic.

One pair did breed on Fetlar (Shetland) for a few years (I think about 1968-75). Several times, they were helped out by the warden, as quite often the weather was so bad (fog/rain) for a week or more at a go, that they couldn't hunt and the young would have starved without the warden bringing dead rabbits and GBB Gull chicks to the nest. Just goes to show, that without help, they would have failed, proving the habitat was not really suitable for them.

Michael

No lemmings in Iceland either Michael which explains why Snowy Owls, despite the abundance of suitable habitat, only breed occasionally here, although it's possible that some are present here all year. A friend of mine observed a Snowy Owl at a former breeding site last summer prey mainly on Pink-footed Geese goslings and also Long-tailed Duck.
It remains very high on my most wanted list in Iceland, ridiculous that I still haven't seen one. Good luck Mark.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back