• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl sightings in West Yorks (1 Viewer)

johnnybike

I have never seen many owls and whilst I would like to get the chance to photograph some I would be happy just to see them.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to where (pref. Leeds area) would provide me a good opportunity

TIA

John

Just following up on the suggestion for Little Owls at Old Moor. Unfortunately there aren't any owls at Old Moor but there are sometimes some at Broomhill Flash which is just around the corner from Old Moor. If you do decide to visit the area pop into the visitor centre at RSPB Old Moor and they'll give you directions to Broomhill Flash.

Issie

Hi,

You're welcome to pop round to my house(!) as we have a Tawny Owl that sits atop our house aerial fairly frequently - Horsforth area.

I have'nt been around Leeds for 3 years now but I have seen:~
Little and Barn owls at Temple Newsam
Tawny owl at Ilkley woods(behind cricket ground)
Long eared and Short eared owls at Bempton(not that far really).

Thank you all for the help, much appreciated. I will be following up some of the leads given here and in several PMs and hope to get a few ticks

John

hi johnny littel owls on road between garforth/barick most days early morning best time to see them good luck

There's a Little owl that frequents the paddock behind the visitor centre at Fairburn Ings. Spends a lot of the time sat on one of the fence posts.
Tawny owls breeding just along the road from me, very vocal but not very visible, pm for details.
Long Eared owls winter on the reserve at Fairburn Ings, most years and can sometimes be easily seen.
Short-eared owls aren't that common at Bempton any more apparently. I'm keen to locate a good area for them myself.
Barn owl, Blacktoft Sands have breeding birds so very visible there, I have seen them around the Swillington Ings area.

Hia Johnny,
About the Owls........ I was down at Fairburn Ings last Fri. and saw 4 of the reported 6 Long Eared Owls. They've had a breeding pair there a couple of seasons now and last year they reared 4 young, hence the 6 birds, they are well easy to see from across a small pond. Access is via the track to the Lynn Dike hide keeping on the track, turning right and on under the old railway bridge, then continuing in a right arc for about 250 m to the said pond on the right, you'll see either other birders there or flattened grass etc. They're in the bushes opposite.....Best of Luck...Joe

Last edited:
Just following up on the suggestion for Little Owls at Old Moor. Unfortunately there aren't any owls at Old Moor but there are sometimes some at Broomhill Flash which is just around the corner from Old Moor. If you do decide to visit the area pop into the visitor centre at RSPB Old Moor and they'll give you directions to Broomhill Flash.

Issie

I've seen little and tawny owl at Old Moor, and others have seen barn owls. The problem is they all tend to avoid the busier places and tend to hang round some of the staff-only areas.

Hi! I was at Fairburn ngs yesterday and Friday and there were two long eared owls showing rather well. if you ask at the visitor centre they'l tell you where.

helen

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back